sick hen

saras_hens12

Hatching
Dec 4, 2023
hi, my chicken is getting weak and can not really balance herself. her droppings are liquid white and small pebbles of green. she has been laying on her side most of the time.she eats pretty okay for a sick chicken-her diet has not really recently changed, but we give her chicken food along with a bunch of not specific foods every day.she could barely get up to poop, her legs just ends up slipping down different directions.i don't know what to do with her. i have seen a bunch of different diseases online but i dot know which one! please help me with her- i lover her so much and i feel as im running out of time with her. please reply as soon as you can.-if you need any pics more info -let me know and i will gladly help out with that!

her legs just ends up slipping down different directions.i don't know what to do with her. i have seen a bunch of different diseases online but i dot know which one!
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Marek's is a highly common one that causes this type of symptom but so many things can look very similar.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Please describe her age, breed, usual feed routine including treats and supplements. Was she vaccinated against Marek's as a chick? Are they free range where they might get into something unknown or confined? How long has this been going on? Do you feel any swelling in her legs or see any signs of injury?

Yes, a video might help.. usually uploaded to a third party host and linked here.

Hope you find answers and that she recovers quickly! :fl

hi! thanks for replying so quick! im pretty sure she is a light brahma,we always supply her with normal chicken food along with some veggis and bread, somtimes left over food that is okay for her to eat. we have been feeding all of our other chickens the same. we somtimes also put garlic or lemon in there water because it is healthy for them. once in a while we will put cocsidocat medican in it.-infact we did today. -every morning we let them out of there coop to explore a little and they go back in when it gets dark(we close there coop door). it has been 2-3 days so far since she has been sick. we got the chicks a few years ago from tractor supply and i did some research and they don't vaccinate the chicks. thanks for replying fast, i hope this info is enough if you need anything please let me know.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Marek's is a highly common one that causes this type of symptom but so many things can look very similar.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Please describe her age, breed, usual feed routine including treats and supplements. Was she vaccinated against Marek's as a chick? Are they free range where they might get into something unknown or confined? How long has this been going on? Do you feel any swelling in her legs or see any signs of injury?

Yes, a video might help.. usually uploaded to a third party host and linked here.

Hope you find answers and that she recovers quickly! :fl

So she is a few years old? Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Mareks usually strikes in young chickens, unless they have been exposed to a carrier more recently. Has she been eating and drinking? Can you try to give her some cooked egg and watery feed, and some (2ml) Poultry Cell or NutriDrench orally? What does her poop look like? Can you feel of her crop now, and again in the morning before she eats or drinks to see if it is emptying overnight? Also check her for mites or lice on her skin under her vent and belly.

Back
Top Bottom