Sick/injured Turkey Poult, possible wry neck?

907poultry

Songster
Mar 4, 2022
I have a (Royal palm?) turkey poult hatched 03/14 (~3 weeks)
He/She weighs 119 grams. The others weigh 357g, 312g, 245g, and 253g.
His/Her neck is held severely sloped to the side, it runs backwards in circles, and chirps incessantly. The neck started a couple days ago, it arrived small and has been running around chirping and standing on one foot for the past 5 days. I suspected bumblefoot, I didn’t see anything but sprayed some vetericin on the feet a couple times.
He/She eats and drinks a lot, have not noticed abnormal poop, will update with a picture if I see any.
It sleeps away from the others usually clinging to a wall.
It moves a lot, reversing and writhing when I try to touch it. No pasty butt.
None of the others are showing symptoms.
They are feed 28% Alaska Mill & Feed Turkey Starter, with the occasional few bites of 22% AK M&F duckling/gosling starter (not a lot, and not on its own). I mix a little bit of brewer’s yeast into their feed (Naturvet with garlic flavor). They have access to chick grit, and are on wood pellets. I was slow to trust the new brand I had to use (the AK hardwood pellets were nowhere to be found). It may contain pine and other softwoods.
They used to get a little bit of nutri drench in their water, however I had to switch to Metzer Farm’s Poult Pack last night (I know this is not the problem, this started before).
0DC6F616-12A1-406D-9068-1E3322B83F62.jpeg

I just tried peanut butter water, it is eating with the other poults but goes into “circling/writhing” fits that leave it on its back, exhausted. I might mercy cull this one. No use in watching it suffer.

I’ll give it a day, or two if it can make it. If I get a suggestion that works I will spare him. Amazing he’s held on this long, poults are so fragile.

Is there any way to post a video? It really is bizarre. I have seen wry neck (not in my stock) before, but this is odd.
I think he will be dead by morning, though I’ve been saying that for the past three days, I think this will be his last.

Still alive, and walking forwards now. Gave peanut butter water and then mixed some sav-a-chic electrolytes and turkey starter in last night.

Back
Top Bottom