Sick two week old chick

Becstasy94

Chirping
Mar 22, 2024
Central Florida
I have a chick that is a little over two weeks old that isn’t doing too well! She was fine yesterday, I noticed she wasn’t very perky this morning, and she is droopy and puffy this evening. I knew something was really wrong when she didn’t eat her scrambled eggs 😭 I garden A LOT so I wouldn’t be surprised if they have been exposed to soil born pathogens.. is it possible this is coccidiosis? That’s what I see coming up over and over again in the threads but I can’t be sure. I went and got Corid but I’m nervous about dosing them if I don’t have to. Is it better to be safe than sorry? I haven’t seen any bloody poop but one of the chicks did have a very liquid diarrhea despite their poops have been fairly well formed the past few days. I would appreciate your best tips on supporting her while she isn’t feeling well and opinions on treating chicks with Corid!

On one hand 2 weeks isn't the typical age for Coccidiosis but on the other hand, don't be worried about giving it to all of them. Do a forum search for "corid drench," where you can give the sick chick a bigger dosage than the rest. All of this said, what's the brooder situation? Any chance it's to hot? "she didn't eat her scrambled eggs," means what? What are you feeding them? Is that just a one time thing but they mostly eat chick starter feed?? Thanks for more info. I'm sure she'll pull out of it. I'll try to find that post for you.

I went and got Corid but I’m nervous about dosing them if I don’t have to. Is it better to be safe than sorry? I haven’t seen any bloody poop but one of the chicks did have a very liquid diarrhea despite their poops have been fairly well formed the past few days. I would appreciate your best tips on supporting her while she isn’t feeling well and opinions on treating chicks with Corid!
I would go ahead and treat her and all the chicks. The Corid is mild and won't hurt them.

Giving the sickest one a direct oral drench as suggested is a good idea if she's not doing well. This drench is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water as the only source of drinking water.
If she's not drinking well on her own, then syringe the mixed water into her throughout the day.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

On one hand 2 weeks isn't the typical age for Coccidiosis but on the other hand, don't be worried about giving it to all of them. Do a forum search for "corid drench," where you can give the sick chick a bigger dosage than the rest. All of this said, what's the brooder situation? Any chance it's to hot? "she didn't eat her scrambled eggs," means what? What are you feeding them? Is that just a one time thing but they mostly eat chick starter feed?? Thanks for more info. I'm sure she'll pull out of it. I'll try to find that post for you.
Sorry I wanted to post it quickly to get advice and I knew I should’ve included more info😬 Okay so they are Bantams that I got at TSC. I am feeding them Dumor Chick Starter and a small amount of scrambled eggs every day as a treat. They all go crazy for the eggs and grab a piece and run away screaming before it can get stolen lol. Thats why I mentioned the egg thing 😅 I offer them grit but not all the time, I set it out when I give the eggs then pick it up a while later. I give them Hydro-Hen once a day and water with ACV (3/4 tap in 4 cups) for the other water change (I’m changing their water at least twice a day, sometimes more). They are on pine flakes in my spare tub. House stays between 74-78 and there is a brooder plate tilted at an angle to give them a temperature gradient. I have been mixing their food in ACV water to make a mash but also leave dry crumbles available at all times.

I would go ahead and treat her and all the chicks. The Corid is mild and won't hurt them.

Giving the sickest one a direct oral drench as suggested is a good idea if she's not doing well. This drench is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water as the only source of drinking water.
If she's not drinking well on her own, then syringe the mixed water into her throughout the day.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
If all seems well after 5 days, would I be okay to discontinue or are they better off getting the full 7 days? And once I stop, can I dose them with some vitamins to get those thiamine levels back up? I worry about depleting them at such a young age, but I don’t know much about chicken pathophysiology!

Sorry I wanted to post it quickly to get advice and I knew I should’ve included more info😬 Okay so they are Bantams that I got at TSC. I am feeding them Dumor Chick Starter and a small amount of scrambled eggs every day as a treat. They all go crazy for the eggs and grab a piece and run away screaming before it can get stolen lol. Thats why I mentioned the egg thing 😅 I offer them grit but not all the time, I set it out when I give the eggs then pick it up a while later. I give them Hydro-Hen once a day and water with ACV (3/4 tap in 4 cups) for the other water change (I’m changing their water at least twice a day, sometimes more). They are on pine flakes in my spare tub. House stays between 74-78 and there is a brooder plate tilted at an angle to give them a temperature gradient. I have been mixing their food in ACV water to make a mash but also leave dry crumbles available at all times.
You're doing a great job, truly!! And thanks for the info~ So I would start the corid and discontinue everything except Chick Starter. After the 5-7days (use your judgement on how the sick one is doing on whether to stop day 5 or 7.) I felt just like you my first time around, I hated the thought in my head that I was somehow not giving that developing body a great start by blocking vit B. BUT I felt much better when I saw the immediate results of my sick, puffy, lethargic chick feeling good and racing around again. And today, she's a prolific layer, she's goofy and I think the extra time with me made her a big fan of mine, she's follows me everywhere. I think you can give a one day vitamin water boost after corid but I'd really just do fresh normal water for a few days first. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!! You got this.

You're doing a great job, truly!! And thanks for the info~ So I would start the corid and discontinue everything except Chick Starter. After the 5-7days (use your judgement on how the sick one is doing on whether to stop day 5 or 7.) I felt just like you my first time around, I hated the thought in my head that I was somehow not giving that developing body a great start by blocking vit B. BUT I felt much better when I saw the immediate results of my sick, puffy, lethargic chick feeling good and racing around again. And today, she's a prolific layer, she's goofy and I think the extra time with me made her a big fan of mine, she's follows me everywhere. I think you can give a one day vitamin water boost after corid but I'd really just do fresh normal water for a few days first. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!! You got this.
Thank you so much for the help! I’m so grateful for people like you that give us newbies quick answers. I was so nervous of doing something to make her worse so I appreciate your guidance ♥️

Thank you so much for the help! I’m so grateful for people like you that give us newbies quick answers. I was so nervous of doing something to make her worse so I appreciate your guidance ♥️
Very nice of you to say. Just last night I was thinking about my very first flock and sort of cringing, I knew so very little after reading a lame book. I found this place in 2009 and it's been my go to ever since. It's not like bad advice is never given here but that's the beauty of waiting for many responses and then making your own judgement calls.

Back
Top Bottom