Silkie Chicken Comb Color

FarmerChick19

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
(All posted in another forum) Okay, so, I was talking to my friend about silkie chickens, and she said they have red combs. However, I OWN silkies, and they have black combs and black skin, as they are supposed to have. Or maybe not. Is it possible for silkies to have red combs? I didn't think it was. How can this be possible if they have black skin as they are supposed to, I thought?

Yes, they can have red combs and wattles, but it's best for them to be black.
If you go to the Silkie thread on this forum then you'll see several roosters with red combs.

Because, they are supposed to have black skin and everything, but sometime some red leaks in.
I think it's bad if your showing your Silkies. It might take a point off or something.

Red combs or white skin is a disqualification. Sometimes hatchery birds have light skin or red combs--just as they sometimes are lacking in foot feathering, crest or correct number of toes. Cuckoo silkies have light skin and red combs--especially the males as a result of the barring gene. Wheaten-based silkies also tend to have lighter skin and comb colour, but not as much as barred/cuckoo birds.

Back
Top Bottom