Silkie eggs in Farm Innovators pro series 4250

Motherhen518

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2022
Hey all!

I am at the end of lockdown for my second batch of silkie eggs in my Farm innovators Pro series model:4250 and will be placing my third batch once these ones hatch (hopefully hatch!)

I am new to incubating. So far I have hatched:

7 brahma cross and 1 EE on Christmas day. I had started with 40 eggs but the majority I believe were not fertilized or had gotten to cold before collection. Out of the 40 I had 13 that had begun to develop. Two stopped before the 10 day mark. Two more made it all the way to lockdown but one never pipped and one pipped at the wrong end and never made it out. 8 hatched healthy and strong.

3 Silkies three weeks after my Christmas hatch. I started with 8 eggs. 4 developed (the 4 eggs from my one hen were unfertilized, she had only just begun laying again shortly before incubation) of the four, one had stopped by the 8th day, two hatched healthy and strong and one (the first to pip) had not progressed after pipping I did not interfere until after the others had pipped and hatched and it had still not progressed (over 24 hours later), it had stopped chirping and activity had come to a nearly complete stop. At that point the membrane was beginning to dry so I did widen the pip and remove the membrane from around the beak and very carefully cracked about a half inch in both directions around the egg. After that she was able to complete the hatch on her own and is now a healthy 3 week old.

My third (current) started with 6 silkie eggs. Four developed. One stopped at day 14. One stopped around day 18. The other two were lively at lockdown and tonight at day 21 I can see one moving sightly, no pips yet.

I have 30 eggs currently waiting to go in, some are from my girls but most were bought from a local breeder. I really would like to see a better hatch rate with this batch.. I have researched and researched but there are just SO MANY different ways suggested.. I am really hoping someone here can give me tried and true settings and tips for this incubator.

For silkie eggs in this incubator:

What is the absolute best temperature and humidity to use?
What tips can you give me for the best chance at the most healthy babies? Or tips in general?

I do know to not open after lockdown begins.
I candle at day 8 or 10, day 14 and day 18 as I'm placing for lockdown.

I do struggle with keeping consistent humidity at times but placing it in my bedroom where the temperature is more consistent has helped a lot. I had been using the built in humidity reader but for my next batch I am placing a separate hydrometer as I no longer trust the built in one.

The temperature has remained a very steady temp of 99.5-100f until around day 18 of this hatch when it suddenly began to read 98 on my separate thermometer but still reads 99.5-100
On the built in one.

I love hatching my babies, please help me learn to do better for them!

Attachments

• received_1107982840041539.jpeg
    received_1107982840041539.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 21
Hi, your hatch rate is not very good so far. Before getting advice please read the directions on YOUR incubator, sometimes each brand and model requires different things, I don't know why. Silkies are the same any other chick, smae temp and humidity. I've been hatching for years and years and all eggs treated the same, great hatch rate, even with old time round styrofoam incubator from many, many yrs ago. I still use it sometimes! Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom