Silkie has one swollen eye

silkielover3

Chirping
Nov 12, 2022
13 month old silkie hen - my baby Maui (she’s small in stature but not malnourished by any means) just noticed today her right eye looks slightly swollen compared to her left, no noticeable pus or drainage. Have 8 other silkies did not notice anything similar with the other. No other symptoms, when my husband brought her inside to inspect her further her beak was slightly open but she did not appear to be panting. Eating/drinking/acting like her normal sweet & sassy self.

First picture is swollen eye (right eye), second picture is her left eye for comparison, and third is her beak open. Trying to not go down a rabbit hole she’s our sweetest hen & last November had a significant pecking order-related head wound that she overcame amazingly 😫🥹 does she need to go to the vet? Thoughts?

We do have leftover antibiotic ointment from her head wound last November but have not yet used anything on her eye.
IMG_9881.jpeg
IMG_9882.jpeg
IMG_9880.jpeg

It's possible she may have accidently scratched her eye or another bird mightve pecked her near or in the eye. Another possibility is debris in her eye.
I recommend that you flush her eye with saline solution, gently pat dry, then put a small amount of Terramycin Eye Ointment in her eye 2 or 3 times a day for 5-7 days. Hopefully you should see improvement and/or cleared up within that time frame.
I dont believe you're dealing with a respiratory disease because there would be other symptoms and I'm sure you wouldve mentioned it.
Here's where you can order the Terramycin:
https://jedds.com/products/terramycin-ophthalmic-ointment-pfizer-a-h?_pos=1&_sid=7d1bfdc80&_ss=r

It's possible she may have accidently scratched her eye or another bird mightve pecked her near or in the eye. Another possibility is debris in her eye.
I recommend that you flush her eye with saline solution, gently pat dry, then put a small amount of Terramycin Eye Ointment in her eye 2 or 3 times a day for 5-7 days. Hopefully you should see improvement and/or cleared up within that time frame.
I dont believe you're dealing with a respiratory disease because there would be other symptoms and I'm sure you wouldve mentioned it.
https://jedds.com/products/terramycin-ophthalmic-ointment-pfizer-a-h?_pos=1&_sid=7d1bfdc80&_ss=r
Thank you so much 🙏🏼 the leftover antibiotic ointment we have is Terramycin actually so we’ll use that.

Back
Top Bottom