Silkies not laying

Well this is proven to be slightly harder than expected. If it gives you any comfort, I don't think anything is wrong with her. Personally I would let her have her very extended break, and see I'd there's any improvement by spring
That’s great you don’t think anything is wrong, she’s so close to the sop and she’s such a sweet girl. Honestly if she never laid again I’d keep her just bc I love her.😂 I just was hoping to get some stunners out of her. It’s quite odd for a hen to not lay for so long at such a young age tho lol

She is in a covered run that’s probably 4 feet deep and 6 feet wide. There’s no way she could hide eggs. My summer temps were 80-100 on the west coast at about 1500 foot elevation. I read that silkies don’t do well in the heat and prefer cooler temps. Could the cooler winter months encourage her to start laying again? She is stunning and so close to the silkie sop, so I’ve been dying for eggs lol

It's not about the cold temperature really, as much as it is few daylight hours. Really warm weather might cause a hen to stop laying, and as you know silkies don't love super warm weather. I don't think she'll start laying now, no. Too little light. Maybe come February, or even better March

That’s great you don’t think anything is wrong, she’s so close to the sop and she’s such a sweet girl. Honestly if she never laid again I’d keep her just bc I love her.😂 I just was hoping to get some stunners out of her. It’s quite odd for a hen to not lay for so long at such a young age tho lol

I agree, she is taking a while longer. I honestly like leaving the girls to take their breaks, but you could try introducing some light

I agree, she is taking a while longer. I honestly like leaving the girls to take their breaks, but you could try introducing some light
They are in a covered run thats under very big trees to shield from wind and rain, where they’re at they don’t get much good daylight. I think a supplemental light would be good for all of them honestly. I’d love to let them free range for more light but my standard hens are bullies

Hello, I have a buff silkie hen I’ve had for about 6 months. Sissy Is almost 2 and definitely the boss hen. My problem is she only laid for the first month after I got her. An egg every other day, then completely ceased. Not a single egg in 5 months. She eats layer crumble with free choice calcium. She’s very healthy and active otherwise. She’s in a covered run with a couple other pullets and a rooster. Does anyone know why she’s not laying? I read that silkies are better winter layers, is this true?
I have not heard that silks are good winter layers. Keep in mind even the best winter layers typically take a break during the winter for a short time. When the days start to get longer she should start laying again.

I have not heard that silks are good winter layers. Keep in mind even the best winter layers typically take a break during the winter for a short time. When the days start to get longer she should start laying again.
Thank you, I appreciate it. I did a little reading and found that silkies tend to lay better when it’s starts to cool down versus the heat of the summer. I had always thought they were rather poor layers until I asked 3 or so of my breeder friends who confirmed they lay best in late fall to mid winter, and again in late spring and early summer when it’s cooler. My other close friend had told me she had a couple silkies that were almost exclusively fall and winter layers. That is how I came to that conclusion. To be honest I was not bothered that she hasn’t been laying, I just thought it was odd that she hasn’t laid in almost 7 months, whereas a normal break is usually somewhere around 4 months.

Back
Top Bottom