Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
Wondering what you all would do about a rooster bullying another roo.

These two have always gotten along and have been in the same coop since the younger one was a day old. The older one is now bullying him - not letting him out of the coop into the run, chasing him around. No real fights (yet) but I feel bad that he’s basically ostracizing him. Oddly, they will still peacefully roost next to each other at night.

Is this just a dominance thing that I should let play out? It’s been going on a week or so now.

These two have always gotten along and have been in the same coop since the younger one was a day old. The older one is now bullying him - not letting him out of the coop into the run, chasing him around. No real fights (yet) but I feel bad that he’s basically ostracizing him. Oddly, they will still peacefully roost next to each other at night.

Is this just a dominance thing that I should let play out? It’s been going on a week or so now.

I separate them if they are actually hurting. They can go from getting along to having their crest pulled out in one day. I had that issue with some this year. 2 and 3 year old roosters who'd gotten along just fine since the younger hatched. Younger one was the better rooster and I didn't have space so just culled one.

that's what the roos do. they might fight each other instead of mating and you might get infertile eggs. watch them.

Their hormones are kicking in.. It's breeding season.

I’ve notice most silkies have extreme crests and beards. Are there any breeders have birds that look like these?
View attachment 3814269
Note the combs on those roosters. They vary quite a bit from the walnut comb. Here's an f3 of mine.
DSC_0300.JPG
BTW @Hinotori I have a sister of your hen, and her sister has the red crest instead of black. They are both f2/f3's.
DSC_0308.JPG

Back
Top Bottom