Silver Duckwing OEGBs - What to Expect?

She's a cutie! Is that Silki about average size as far as chicken go? If so, I think my SD's may be "extra-bantam" bantams. In the photo where my wife and daughter are holding a couple hens, those are full grown (over a year old). They look like little baby chicks compared to the full size hens. I wish I had a scale to weigh them on, but I won't fork out the few dolalrs they cost just for weighing a couple birds. :p

And for good measure, and adorable chick pic! There are actually 3 chicks there, but one ducked at the last moment. I think they were nearly week old in this.
The Silkie is also a bantam, Rosie was just tiny. Which is pretty much what you get with an OEGB
1f601.png

Oh, those are SWEET little babies! I found another egg today, this time hidden in the bushes. So, MAYBE one of the hens is wanting to go broody soon. I went ahead and collected it (it will freeze here tonight) and will keep it tucked away for a week or two and see what happens...hopefully adding more to it as time passes. (I ate the other one...and I'm now wishing I hadn't.)

Oh, those are SWEET little babies! I found another egg today, this time hidden in the bushes. So, MAYBE one of the hens is wanting to go broody soon. I went ahead and collected it (it will freeze here tonight) and will keep it tucked away for a week or two and see what happens...hopefully adding more to it as time passes. (I ate the other one...and I'm now wishing I hadn't.)

So...did your OEGB have chicks?

I have two Silver Duckwing OEGB Bantams hens, and one Gold/Black Sebright Roo, one Golden Wyandotte Roo, and eight Barred Rock hens, they are all beautiful birds and unique but between you and I I just adore my little OEGBs they are sweet! They have never pecked me. They don't go crazy if I have to pick them up. I am pretty sure the Barred Rock hens feel the same they let the bantams hide under their wings, and snuggle up to them. So cute! So, there my favorite but I'm just getting started!

Back
Top Bottom