slowness and ads, any work being done on that?

Hello again,

Thank you again, elevan, for letting me know what "my stuff" includes. I'm pleased, because it is not something that I need to see, so I've kept it from showing up while I use the site.

I've discovered that for some reason the pull down menus (at least under "forum") don't work with my new Google Chrome, which I downloaded because it was recommended to run the site well. So I've gone back to Firefox. Using the pull-downs is a time saver since I don't have to click on multiple pages to get where I want to go, and wait for about 26 ads per page to load! That brings up my next brainstorm:

Could the site engineers or whoever is able to do these things, could you make it so that the righthand side of the page just stays the same as the user navigates around BYC? What I mean is if that could stay the same and not have to take up a minute or 2 to keep loading different ads every time the user clicked for the next page, etc, that seems like it would be a major help to the people trying to navigate around the site. The advertizers would still have their 26 or so ads showing all the time a person was on the site, so it seems to me they would be happy with that, but if they were the same ads and would just stay loaded per user session, the users would have a much more pleasant experience since I feel it would speed up their use of the site enormously. Would it be possible to program or tweak the site to run that way?

I never did get an answer as to whether BYC is now in a contract and unable to delete ads and maybe run just 4 or 5 per page instead of about 26. Is that the case? Could you run 4 or 5 ads but pay each company way more per ad, so that would make up the same amount of ad-generated income that the current 26 or so generate?
I still wonder also whether you are allowed to change the ads to all text so they would load instantly and make a less cluttered page layout?
I still think those 2 things would be wonderful ways to speed up the site!

She has been SOOOOOOOOOO helpful to so many of us during this change over. Isn't she just a sweetheart!

thumbsup.gif
"Willing" and "able" together make a great combination!

Could the site engineers or whoever is able to do these things, could you make it so that the righthand side of the page just stays the same as the user navigates around BYC?

Thanks for the brainstorming ideas, but unfortunately that's not possible with this system, sorry.

Could you run 4 or 5 ads but pay each company way more per ad, so that would make up the same amount of ad-generated income that the current 26 or so generate?

It's something we are already doing :) This is why you don't see popups, floating ads, etc... because we've already implemented this basic idea. We work hard to get quality advertisers, even if they aren't as "profitable" to try to balance user experience with keeping the site free for our millions of site visitors. In theory if we went down to 5 sponsors, some people would still want only 1 sponsor. If we went down to 1, some would want zero ads.

This is why we've got the very inexpensive GFM option for our members who want to turn off ads throughout the site.

Back
Top Bottom