Smooth silkie...

I ordered show quality silkie eggs that hatched back in June. We ordered show quality silkie eggs in the past from the same place and got true show quality silkies from them. We do not show our chickens, but love the silkies so go all out on the eggs. Anyhow! This time we hatched 4. 3 are true silkies, though 1 has red coming through on the comb and wattles and another has smooth feathers and also red comb. With regards to the smooth feather one, I’m also unsure if the color is typical silkie. Do you think it just has mixing down the line somewhere to bring out the smooth feathering or potentially some other mix altogether? These eggs were from my pet chicken btw, not local, eBay or Craigslist!
Yup, that is 100% mixed:hmm I am surprised they are from my pet chicken. Their silkie eggs are really expensive!:eek: Maybe @LadiesAndJane

Thanks for the tag. 😊
It’s impossible for someone to claim that they have show quality eggs. They can claim that the eggs come from show quality birds, but there’s no way to predict that the chicks will be show quality. Only about 10% of a breeders birds, even the best ones, are considered show quality.
Although this bird looks like a satin, which is used rather loosely with silkie crosses, I do not think it is. A true satin has all the characteristics of a silkie except for the feathering. They can be well over 90% silkie.The comb color on your lovely bird is incorrect, so it can not be a true satin.
Likely a first or second generation silkie cross.😊

Do you think it just has mixing down the line somewhere to bring out the smooth feathering or potentially some other mix altogether?

Smooth feathering is the dominant gene, with silkie feathering being recessive.
That means breeding two chickens with silkie feathers should NEVER produce a chicken with smooth feathers.

So your chicken must have a parent with smooth feathers. I would say the breeder was careless or sloppy somehow: either that egg did not come from a Silkie hen, or it did but they did not properly control which rooster she was able to mate with.

I ordered show quality silkie eggs that hatched back in June. We ordered show quality silkie eggs in the past from the same place and got true show quality silkies from them. We do not show our chickens, but love the silkies so go all out on the eggs. Anyhow! This time we hatched 4. 3 are true silkies, though 1 has red coming through on the comb and wattles and another has smooth feathers and also red comb. With regards to the smooth feather one, I’m also unsure if the color is typical silkie. Do you think it just has mixing down the line somewhere to bring out the smooth feathering or potentially some other mix altogether? These eggs were from my pet chicken btw, not local, eBay or Craigslist!
Oh wow, this silkie is cute, whatever the breed mix is. :). I am thinking of ordering 6 of the show silkie eggs from My Pet Chicken... do you have any photos of yours? Would you order these eggs again? I'm worried none of the will hatch. But I do have a Brinsea 28 ex incubator that I have been testing and it seems to be holding the temperature and humidity levels flawlessly. Any advice or photos would be so appreciated. Thank you so much! Best wishes, Emma

Back
Top Bottom