Snatched bald and bleeding!

GBov

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
My white quail - the only white in a pen of six birds - is now bald and bleeding. Of the six two are female, two are male, the white one I dont know and I think the other one is a girl but could be a boy. Its a blond color so its hard for me to tell.

Is its color the problem?

Or what else made them go for him?

Here's how to tell: the hens are usualy bald behind th head, fatter, and when you squeese their butts, a white foam does NOT come out generously.

They have lots of brown speckling on their front chest feathers. Take a picture of the front of your colored birds and show me. I'll tell you. And the girls won't squirm much when you hold them, and not at all if you do it right.

I'm assuming you have Coturnix/Pharoax quail? You didn't mention.

For the white one, seperate her for a while. For all you know, it could be the only hen, or an attractive male. All my boys except my RIR, Copper Maran, Cochin and Americauna roosters are bi. Heck, I'm surprised I don't have chickenXducks, or guineaXchickens.

odds are high that the white bird in question may be a male. It can happen to the best of us. Just isolate the bird in question, and they should be able to regenerate head, feet, even brain matter, but they don't get any smarter.

X-2 and or just RUFF SEX....cva34

When its well, can I put it back in with the others? They are moving into the big cage as soon as I get the rabbits out of it and into the freezer but the main group can wait a bit until it gets better and then move them all together if it will help it get back in.

I would hate to loose this one as its the only white and stands out so well in the bunch but as I already have a very old silkie hen that has to live on its own - taking up valuable cage space - I so dont need another critter that needs space all its own.

The first eggs from this batch are in the bator now for my tomato cage quail bug control experiment. I love quail!

Oh yes, they are Coturnix.

Back
Top Bottom