Solar power for coop fan

ragingowl77

Chirping
Mar 21, 2022
Southeast Georgia
Has anybody used a solar panel/generator unit to provide power for a fan to their coop? I don't want to run power to the coop, and I thought where I put it would be shaded enough, but its still getting pretty warm. We are installing a small pond near the coop and I wanted to use the solar power to run a filter for the pond as well as the fan. Any suggestions?

Welcome to BYC.

I can't help with the solar, but if you show us photos of your coop we can help you improve the passive ventilation.

The usual guidelines recommend at least 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-size hen but here in the NC Sandhills I find that I need either DEEP shade all day or 2-3 times that in order to keep the coop under 100F on a 90F day. :)

I don't have a panel but I installed a solar fan just yesterday! It has an in and out function, and seems like it will be perfect for a small space to give a little breeze (but yes, ventilation is very important!) https://amzn.to/3maQQRP I anticipate my ladies will enjoy the breeze on muggy evenings.

I bought a Ryobi hybrid fan that I can run off batteries as I didn't want to run a cord but have that option if I need it and I didn't feel any of the solar fans I was finding would move enough air with our heat.

Welcome to BYC.

I can't help with the solar, but if you show us photos of your coop we can help you improve the passive ventilation.

The usual guidelines recommend at least 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-size hen but here in the NC Sandhills I find that I need either DEEP shade all day or 2-3 times that in order to keep the coop under 100F on a 90F day. :)

Have you seen anything that would equate fans (cfm) to passive ventilation? My small coop (16 sf) has 10 sf of ventilation. I could add two fans on the back wall beside the external nest boxes for more. Without fans, there's only room on that wall for maybe 1.5 sf of ventilation. Probably not worth the effort unless I use fans.

I highly recommend the solar power option, 99% of my coop and rabbit barn run off 12V solar power.
The aviary has 8 25W panels and a 200Ahr battery bank. This powers 6 small oscillating fans, all the lights, and the radio.
The Rabbit barn has a similar set up and it works very well in both.
Check out all the solar panel companies and wait for the sales!

I don't have a panel but I installed a solar fan just yesterday! It has an in and out function, and seems like it will be perfect for a small space to give a little breeze (but yes, ventilation is very important!) https://amzn.to/3maQQRP I anticipate my ladies will enjoy the breeze on muggy evenings.
Thanks for this, I'm looking to install a solar fan in my coop.

Back
Top Bottom