Something got a huge chunk out of henny...

hennylove

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Eastern WA Rural
I came home yesterday afternoon to find one of my hens all bloody with almost her entire back-of-the-neck exposed, gone, no skin. I couldn't find blood or feathers anywhere around the pen. She is in sick-bay in the house where it is warm, I hope she can heal with TLC and Vetericyn. Any ideas what might have done this to her? We have a very secure hen house where they roost at night but the pen is not completely secure so I imagine it was some sort of varmit or another. Broad daylight. I am just amazed she is still alive.

Sorry to hear this.
sad.png
But no idea as to who did it. . No trace of feathers means that varmit may have eaten them. If it was a raccoon, he would not have stopped there. If it was a opossum, they usually start eating the chickens from underneath where it is soft tissue. If it was other chickens pecking, then you would see feathers. HOPE SHE RECOVERS FOR YOU WELL.

Thank you for your responses. Yes, it is open on top and I did think about a hawk... I also looked around the perimeter some more yesterday afternoon, found a few broken neck feathers, but not any sign of blood anywhere. Our rooster is very attentive, maybe he scared off whatever it was. She is very quiet, resting in the house. Seems like she is healing.

Back
Top Bottom