Sour Crop? Secondary Infection?

Masudas

Hatching
Jan 31, 2024
Hello! We are new to chicken life and are struggling a bit with helping one of our hens. About a month ago, one of our year old Rhode Island Reds had a large squishy crop (baseball size), diarrhea, pale comb, and was sleeping a lot during the day. First thought was sour crop. We isolated her, and started 5 days of antifungal cream/water. Day 1 she was fed only fresh papaya and water, Day 2 Greek yogurt, papaya, and water (wasn't thrilled about yogurt), and Day 3 was allowed to free graze back with flock. On Day 5, the crop still felt a little squishy and the size of a tennis ball in the morning, so we gave her tomato juice over 24 hours to assist with crop PH balance. It was still a little squishy in the mornings so we treated her with dewormer for the next 3 days. She is eating fermented feed and snacks on it but isn't overly eager. She drinks plenty of water which I added a tiny bit of Rooster Booster. She made some improvements but now seems to be back to miserable and doesn't have the appetite or energy the others do. Today I started her on Baytril because I'm at a loss on what to do. Any advice is appreciated.

Welcome To BYC
Is she laying eggs?
What did you deworm with - product and dosage?
Photos of her and her poop?

If the crop is not emptying overnight, then re-address that symptom. The article below will walk you through the process.

Often crop problems point to an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, infection, worms and/or coccidiosis. Sometimes a crop won't empty due to a partial blockage.

Starting on Baytril may help if the cause if infection in the body, but if the crop is sour, it can cause the yeast infection to become worse.

If my hen is willing to eat, I don't restrict food when dealing with a crop problem. Giving the wet feed is a good idea. I provide normal feed and limit scratch/seeds until the issue is resolved.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom