squirrel proof feeding method

unhitched

Chirping
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside, CA
I Am just got done with a new chicken coup, and I have a pretty good watering system, but my feeding system is a bit lacking, I have used 4 inch pipe and i really like it that you can feed the chickens from the outside, and not have to do it so often. however it does not solve my biggest problem now which is squirrels. I have seen some automatic game feeders and I was wondering if anyone has used one to feed their birds? I found this one,

https://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-Hun...=&sprefix=moultrie+remote,aps,140&sr=8-7&th=1

that you could mount to the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and hang and it seems like that would work pretty well as a squirrel proof feeder that can store alot of food safely.

any thoughts?

It flings food by a spinner. I do not think it would eliminate or even remotely reduce waste.

As for squirrel proof, well it might be. It would just feed them by the flung feed instead of them getting into the dish itself in my opinion.

Maybe a feeder like this would be better.

Screenshot_20221107-082305.png

Is your feed outside or in an enclosed run area? I am assuming just outside if squirrels have access to it. I am not sure there is much out there to deter squirrels, as they are very smart :) but someone must have some advice for you.

Like the one posted above, I would probably try a treadle feeder

just worried that those types of feeders will not work well for my chukkar or turkeys. I have installed the deer feeder for now and it seems to work pretty well, today I have my first day of rain so it will be interesting to see if the birds are hungry when I drive by.

It flings food by a spinner. I do not think it would eliminate or even remotely reduce waste.

As for squirrel proof, well it might be. It would just feed them by the flung feed instead of them getting into the dish itself in my opinion.

Maybe a feeder like this would be better.

View attachment 3315687
Those Chinese made feeders and yeah, even the Grandpa feeder is made in China, are not remotely squirrel proof. There is a video up of two tiny ground squirrels opening the lid and chowing down.

We are about to introduce a new version that IS squirrel proof. The old versions were most of the time, where it was a normal backyard that had one or two tree rats but near a forest they could get overrun with a dozen squirrels. We doubled the number of springs and moved the single spring location from the door crank to a double spring that pulls directly on the door from the top. We also ditched the concrete counterweight as the dual spring is so powerful that having the treadle no longer counter weighted is needed. Down the road that will allow us to offer a self assembly version to save shipping costs for those that have good assembly skills. A smaller package and 2 pounds lighter saves quite a bit of shipping cost.

Downside, it works best on a stiff setting, say 4 pounds. Smaller birds that weigh close to that won't be able to use the feeder unless another bird is eating.

just worried that those types of feeders will not work well for my chukkar or turkeys. I have installed the deer feeder for now and it seems to work pretty well, today I have my first day of rain so it will be interesting to see if the birds are hungry when I drive by.
Chukkars are tiny like quail, right? Not a good idea to use any sort of feeder with a moving lid for something that small. Turkeys can use our feeder if the turkey step is ordered with the feeder and installed with a lot of overhang towards the front. Many users reported that their turkey just uses its breast to depress the treadle.

I'd pen the chukkars by themselves and hand feed twice a day.

I would love to buy a feeder made in the usa that is squirrel proof, but I have not found one. Chukkar are closer to pheasant in size maybe smaller. I have to say that that only being 10 days in I love using the deer feeder to feed my turkeys, I Just sold 10 yesterday so I will need to figure out how to reduce the feed for just 20 but they seem to be not too hungry when I drive up, which used to be a huge problem, they would be super hungry climbing over each other to get to the food when I feed them twice a day, not they get fed 4 times per day and it is spread out rather than in the 4 inch pipe feeders I used to feed them in so they are much less panicked at feeding time.

Those Chinese made feeders and yeah, even the Grandpa feeder is made in China, are not remotely squirrel proof. There is a video up of two tiny ground squirrels opening the lid and chowing down.

We are about to introduce a new version that IS squirrel proof. The old versions were most of the time, where it was a normal backyard that had one or two tree rats but near a forest they could get overrun with a dozen squirrels. We doubled the number of springs and moved the single spring location from the door crank to a double spring that pulls directly on the door from the top. We also ditched the concrete counterweight as the dual spring is so powerful that having the treadle no longer counter weighted is needed. Down the road that will allow us to offer a self assembly version to save shipping costs for those that have good assembly skills. A smaller package and 2 pounds lighter saves quite a bit of shipping cost.

Downside, it works best on a stiff setting, say 4 pounds. Smaller birds that weigh close to that won't be able to use the feeder unless another bird is eating.
This dual-spring squirrel-proof feeder sounds like something I'd like to try! We live next to a forest and squirrels are our biggest (albeit entertaining) nuisance. Which website shall I be keeping my eye on to see when it is available?

Back
Top Bottom