Stringy poop in 6 day old chick - is it worms??

Desertbabies

Chirping
May 8, 2022
New chicken mom. I was sure my little frizzle/silky (sizzle?) was going to die two nights ago, but gave electrolytes and this morning she’s much more active and eating but still not as active as the others. I am trying to get her to continue to improve, did a full cleaning and sanitizing of everything today, gave her more electrolytes, and a tiny drop of Poultry Cell (could not find Nutridrench locally). This morning I went to clean a little pasting that I noticed starting, and when I wiped the poo away I noticed two strings (about a half inch each, looked like two strings of poop colored thin spaghetti). Could this be the issue? Does she have worms?? Or can their poop be stringy sometimes? If it’s worms, what do I do?

What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She’s a 6 day old frizzle/silkie. She does seem lighter than the others.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Intermittently listless, little energy except in brief spurts, sleeps a LOT, under the brooder plate while all the others are playing. Always seems separate from the group. Walks a bit different than the others. Doesnt startle. Marked improvement today, but still lagging behind the others noticeably.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Probably since I got her. 5 days. Saturday was the worst, but yesterday and today seem incrementally better.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Not at all. 11 “siblings” all hyper and growing rapidly, no weird poops

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No. Her legs do seem a bit weak.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I did notice some pasty butt but removed it promptly. Twice now.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Medicated chick starter, occasionally moistened with electrolyte water.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal I thought, until today when I noticed the two little stringy things.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Electrolytes, tiny half drop of Poultry Cell, extra attention.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself if possible — we are 90 minutes from a vet.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I did not take a photo of the poop :(

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Using a large puppy playpen tent as a brooder for 12 chicks. Pine shavings and alfalfa hay for bedding, brooder plate for warmth, dust bath in a shoebox provided.

Can you post any pictures of the poop or the chick? Since you have Poultry Cell, I would use that and give a couple of drops daily for the next few days, and just offer plain water by dipping it’s beak. Make sure that your brooder is not too hot, 90 degrees is plenty, decrease to 85 at 7 days. Pasty butt may occur in weaker chicks or chicks that have shipping stress. A long stringy poop can be normal in chicks, so I doubt that it is worms.

Can you post any pictures of the poop or the chick? Since you have Poultry Cell, I would use that and give a couple of drops daily for the next few days, and just offer plain water by dipping it’s beak. Make sure that your brooder is not too hot, 90 degrees is plenty, decrease to 85 at 7 days. Pasty butt may occur in weaker chicks or chicks that have shipping stress. A long stringy poop can be normal in chicks, so I doubt that it is worms.
Thank you so much for replying, I’m so new at this and very nervous to do anything wrong! I’m attaching a few photos of my little Cady. I am relieved to hear it is likely not worms. She does keep pasting up, which worries me and is keeping me wiping bird butt intermittently through the day!
She is one of my 4 that didn’t come from TSC. I have 12 chicks ranging from 6 days to 4 weeks old. All those from Tractor Supply have had no issues, no pasty butt. The other 4 — one home-hatched by my friend and 3 from a small feed store nearby — have all had persistent pasty butt and I can’t think of a thing I’m doing wrong. I didn’t like the heat lamp with the first chick, so I switched to a warming brooder plate before bringing any others home. She does consistently want to be under the plate even as the others are out from under it most of the day playing. She is definitely a weakling, and seems very fragile even though she has started hopping around and eating happily. She was sleeping almost 100 percent of the day before, and since Saturday I’d say we are at an 80/20 split on sleeping/eating-and-pecking-around. So it’s an improvement but she’s just nothing like the others. By comparison, I have another silkie born the same day who is already trying to play alongside the older baby chicks and hops around about 80 percent of the day. That one will flee from my hand reaching for her, peeps contentedly, climbs on the other chicks to play, etc. Little Cady seems almost dazed. She lets me pick her up without startling or trying to run (she does twist and struggle sometimes as I’m cleaning her butt), she mostly avoids the rest of the little flock who all play together all day, and she rarely makes faint peeps.
Granted, she has been this way since we brought her home 6 days ago, so she’s hanging in there, but I’m very worried there’s something wrong.
Here are some photos I just took.

Attachments

• 1C00E7FD-3D08-4AAB-B2F1-FA9D8671CE09.jpeg
    1C00E7FD-3D08-4AAB-B2F1-FA9D8671CE09.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 1
  • BFF849D1-DAF9-41A6-A8BB-4E0AE9D04260.jpeg
    BFF849D1-DAF9-41A6-A8BB-4E0AE9D04260.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 1
  • BA055A77-605A-4067-A262-CAA7DAA4090A.jpeg
    BA055A77-605A-4067-A262-CAA7DAA4090A.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 197F0881-7F7E-40C3-998F-D959AFDEF0ED.jpeg
    197F0881-7F7E-40C3-998F-D959AFDEF0ED.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 1
  • A3D96F8B-BB6B-4E88-B5D6-0869ED1236B4.jpeg
    A3D96F8B-BB6B-4E88-B5D6-0869ED1236B4.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 1
Cady is still at risk of not making it. Poorly chicks may still die in the first couple of weeks. Shipping stress or a poor hatch can kill. When cleaning off pasty butt, I use my hands and just a bit of warm water and soap, and try not to get them too wet or rub hard. Then I dry well with a tissue. Try putting a dab of vegetable oil or vaseline on the vent opening. Of course wash your hands very well after handling them or their equipment. I hope that with all of your supportive care she will make it.

Cady is still at risk of not making it. Poorly chicks may still die in the first couple of weeks. Shipping stress or a poor hatch can kill. When cleaning off pasty butt, I use my hands and just a bit of warm water and soap, and try not to get them too wet or rub hard. Then I dry well with a tissue. Try putting a dab of vegetable oil or vaseline on the vent opening. Of course wash your hands very well after handling them or their equipment. I hope that with all of your supportive care she will make it.
That is my fear. My husband, who grew up on a farm, is trying to prepare my mindset for the fact that some animals just don’t make it, and that’s part of this whole endeavor. Thanks so much for your kind advice. Fingers crossed for my Cady girl.

Back
Top Bottom