Sudden patches of missing feathers on necks, below beak

Fieldsfive

Chirping
Mar 26, 2021
Pacific NW
Hello all. I need some advice. I noticed two days ago that my Buff Orpington has a bald patch under her beak. It seemed to appear overnight. I've been observing her behavior and the bald patch since then and it doesn't seem to be getting bigger. She also acts normally, lays her eggs, eats, forages, and all. This morning I noticed my Welsummer has the exact same bald patch, and she didn't have it yesterday. I watched them via my hen-cam last night as they settled to roost and saw no bullying behavior before they settled. I also went out just after dark with a headlamp to investigate my BO's vent for signs of lice or mites but couldn't see any. She also has such thick feathers it's possible I missed signs. She molted in November, so this is not a molt.
I have also noticed that the hens seem a bit grumpier than usual, with light pecking at each other (but I wouldn't call it bullying) more than usual. And, they've had more free range time in the last week than in the last 5 months.
Anyone experience this before? Ideas?
Photo 1: Yesterday- Monday: Photo 2: Sunday, the day I noticed it
20230320_165709.jpg

20230319_172022.jpg

Attachments

• drive-download-20230321T145648Z-001.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 4
Someone is grooming her/plucking out the feathers. That's an area that she can't reach by herself.
You can try a bit of NuStock on the area to see if that deters the picker.
So, now it's happening on 4 of 5 of my hens. I put NuStock on them repeatedly but it doesn't seem to help stop the problem. The BO pictured above still has the worst, and very similar bald patch happening. I see the new feathers appearing, and then suddenly they're gone again and the hens are bald under their beaks. I have been watching them and NEVER see anyone plucking out feathers. Could it be a different problem? I check them over and never see any mites/lice in their feathers and they dust bathe regularly. Any further advice?

Someone is plucking out the new pin feathers as soon as they appear.

Unless you figure out which hen(s) are doing it, then there's a not a lot you can do. Separation of the offender is until everyone feathers out is one way to get it to "stop". I don't like separating birds, so for me, I'd tolerate it if there's no injuries or I'd give Pinless Peepers a try.

Someone is plucking out the new pin feathers as soon as they appear.

Unless you figure out which hen(s) are doing it, then there's a not a lot you can do. Separation of the offender is until everyone feathers out is one way to get it to "stop". I don't like separating birds, so for me, I'd tolerate it if there's no injuries or I'd give Pinless Peepers a try.
Thank you- that's very helpful. I keep waiting, hoping it will stop, being sure to give them no stressors that I can control (low food, water, space, etc...) so I'll keep waiting and hope it will resolve, eventually. There are no injuries yet, just bald spots. Pinless peepers are an option for the future, too.

My lead roo has the same issue. I finally caught a hen plucking and eating his feathers while they were roosting for night. He lets her do it. He is constantly growing new feathers there, but they never get to come in enough to be more than a pin feather spike. They have plenty of protein and get to forage after I get home from work (4pm to roost time)
I feel like there must be more than one doing it, but have only ever caught the Welsummer plucking. It has gone on for so long that the skin in that area is red like his comb and wattles. I have concidered making a collar to keep them from pecking, but we don't show him and he doesn't seem to mind (he's almost 8y and laid back).
You can see his bald area in the pic. It's below and behind his wattles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230503-085613_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230503-085613_Gallery.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 3
My lead roo has the same issue. I finally caught a hen plucking and eating his feathers while they were roosting for night. He lets her do it. He is constantly growing new feathers there, but they never get to come in enough to be more than a pin feather spike. They have plenty of protein and get to forage after I get home from work (4pm to roost time)
I feel like there must be more than one doing it, but have only ever caught the Welsummer plucking. It has gone on for so long that the skin in that area is red like his comb and wattles. I have concidered making a collar to keep them from pecking, but we don't show him and he doesn't seem to mind (he's almost 8y and laid back).
You can see his bald area in the pic. It's below and behind his wattles.
Wow- I see it. Thanks for sharing. I think the plucking is happening during egg laying, and one hen doesn't have the u
Issue so my eye is on her as the culprit.

Thank you all for the assistance. It's ongoing, and I've separated the suspect for an entire week to no real avail. I'm just going to let them be, as they are, as long as there are no injuries. I've started adding hanging feeders with greens to the run every morning, and an occasional treat roller so I hope it distracts the pluckers enough to not make any hen's
bald patch get worse. I've watched them closely for weeks now and can't catch the culprit. They have blu-kote over the area to hopefully detract from more plucking.

willa 6.18.23.jpg cosmo 6.18.23.jpg

Back
Top Bottom