Suddenly lame young hen

Stumpi123

Hatching
May 7, 2023
Hi folks, our polish bantam (8 months old) was walking and jumping on her perch just fine earlier. 3 hours later, we've just found her laying on the floor panting and unable to stand. When we try lift her up, she curls her toes and crosses her legs. No blood or sign of injury, I washed her feet and they look normal. Scales aren't lifting so not considering mites. We do have a broody hen (as of yesterday) and there has been a little fighting. We've separated the lame hen for now and she's eating. Her crop feels normal, not impacted or empty. Any ideas on why she may not be walking, or how to help her recover?

hi, I don't know if this is 'done' or the problem is still active, I have a similar situation, so far I have found the following can be the cause:

- over heating (needs hydration and shade)
-Marek's (check for leg position, and if you are in the US there are options for free testing, call a local vet to find out)
- vitamin deficiency (yes, it is possible to have only one hen eating the same as all the others have a deficiency) in this case it seems to be a deficiency in vitamin B, or iron. Try Poultry Cell or similar.
- broken bone in a leg

all the best to you :)

Back
Top Bottom