Suggestions for Run Material

bwb518

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2016
Kagawong, Ontario
Hello
Looking for suggestions for the best material for the floor of the covered outdoor run, on my chiken coop. Just finished the run and the floor is grass and dirt at present but, I can see that going south quite quickly.
Thanks

:frowWelcome to BYC!
Do a search here and you’ll have reading material for weeks!
So much to learn and so many suggestions and opinions at the touch of a button! :celebrate

Mine is grass and dirt---well, was grass and dirt. Turns to just dirt pretty quickly. I add grass clippings in the summer and leaves in the fall, but my birds free range nearly all day every day.

Depending on the size of your run and flock, and your location geographically both weather wise and rural vs urban, many suggest and swear by the deep litter method known here as DL.

Personally I’ve had success with a dirt/sand combo, relocating some periodically to compost and freshening with a few new bags of sand. I just dump the bags out. The chickens do all the work of spreading it .

Hello
Looking for suggestions for the best material for the floor of the covered outdoor run, on my chiken coop. Just finished the run and the floor is grass and dirt at present but, I can see that going south quite quickly.
Thanks
Go with something like this:
Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992
The organic materials will take care of the stink.

Unfertilized lawn clippings, leaves, garden waste, even the poops from the poop boards the two full clean outs of the pine shavings from the coop floor. One year in, no smell. Hens spend most ofthe dayin the run. They getout eachday whenwe Get home. In the fall I will remove some ofthe DLM to spread on the gardens.

Back
Top Bottom