Swollen puffy eyes

Oldhenhens

Songster
Jan 18, 2021
Central Missouri
This little girl is a 3 month old Swedish 55 Flowers. Pi found her standing out in the middle of a puddle in n the rain yesterday and her eyes swollen like this. I got her dried off. I used saline to clean her eyes as best I could and put terramycin antibiotic ointment in her eyes. She won’t eat or drink on her own or if I try to make her. She is holding her own still now day two. I last one of my boys last week same thing. I’m heartbroken. I’ve wanted this breed for so long. I could only find/afford 4 girls and 3 boys. I had a plan to add more at another time. Now I’ve lost one and possibly another.
Additionally today I found a dark brahma (in the same coop) and she was off in a corner alone and sounds like a little kid with a cold.
We have just gone through negative temperatures, snow, ice and now so much rain and mud.
Is what I’m going through weather or is there something in my coop?
These are still living in the grow out coop. I have never moved them to the big coop. They have better protection from the cold.
My questions are what do I do with my two sick babies?

How do I treat everyone assuming I have to put something in the water?

I have no vet options so I have to do what I can on my own.

Thank you and sorry it is so long.

Attachments

• IMG_8641.jpeg
    IMG_8641.jpeg
    592.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8639.jpeg
    IMG_8639.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8640.jpeg
    IMG_8640.jpeg
    546.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Can you get a picture of the inside of her beak to check to see what that is—mucus, any yellow material or canker, or normal? She has some bruising, but do you think she was pecked or is this a respiratory disease? Is her right wattle missing or pecked? Does she smell normal or is her face stinky? Have you had any fowl pox in the last several months? It would be too cold at this time for mosquitoes to be out, but did any chickens have pox last fall? Can you get some Tylosin antibiotic powder, Tylan 50 injectable, or other antibiotic? You will need to keep trying to feed and water her. Hold her in your lap, and dip her beak into a small cup or can of water and mushy feed.

Can you get a picture of the inside of her beak to check to see what that is—mucus, any yellow material or canker, or normal? She has some bruising, but do you think she was pecked or is this a respiratory disease? Is her right wattle missing or pecked? Does she smell normal or is her face stinky? Have you had any fowl pox in the last several months? It would be too cold at this time for mosquitoes to be out, but did any chickens have pox last fall? Can you get some Tylosin antibiotic powder, Tylan 50 injectable, or other antibiotic? You will need to keep trying to feed and water her. Hold her in your lap, and dip her beak into a small cup or can of water and mushy feed.
Thank you for your reply.
I don’t even know what fowl pox would look like or what to look for.
I saw nothing wrong in her mouth. She wouldn’t take the soften feed. I made a batch of sugar water with Tylosin and used it to make the feed soft. I used an eye dropper and put drops of the treated water at the corner of her mouth. She would swallow some. Unfortunately she didn’t make it through last night. My little cockerel was the same with swollen eyes.

I still have the dark brahma pullet whizzing and sounding like congested. She isn’t eating or drinking either.

The weather has been terrible. I’m surprised they all aren’t sick. I can’t get the coops clean between the snow and ice, freezing temperatures and the non stop rain. The muck isn’t helping. I want to treat the whole bunch of them with Tylosin but they are typical chickens. They would rather drink from puddles instead of clean waterers with medicine.

I have had chickens for 3 years and been lucky to never have issues. Now I have no idea what to do to treat them. I’ve read so many posts and I am so confused and frustrated.

Thank you again for your thoughts.

Dry fowl pox appears as bumps and scabs on the skin around the face and comb. Wet fowl pox causes lesions inside the beak and throat, that may be yellow and cheesy plaques. Eye infections can also happen. Canker which causes cheesy lesions inside the beak can look similar, but it is totally a different disease. I would only treat chickens with symptoms, since antibiotics should not be used on all. There is enough antibiotic resistance out there.

Dry fowl pox appears as bumps and scabs on the skin around the face and comb. Wet fowl pox causes lesions inside the beak and throat, that may be yellow and cheesy plaques. Eye infections can also happen. Canker which causes cheesy lesions inside the beak can look similar, but it is totally a different disease. I would only treat chickens with symptoms, since antibiotics should not be used on all. There is enough antibiotic resistance out there.
Thank you! I can’t say I have noticed anything like you describe.

I have quite a few chickens sneezing and wheezing but they seem okay otherwise. Eating and drinking. Active. Laying eggs. I have been checking inside their mouths and none have anything unusual.

Some on the youngest have a smell but I attribute it to not roosting and still sleeping in a pile together on the floor.

Th
Sorry that you lost the hen. Your state vet can do a necropsy and testing on a dead chicken, if you keep the body cold, but not frozen in a cooler. If you lose another, I would call the Missouri state vet lab at Springfield or Jefferson, which ever does necropsies here in this list:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
ank you. I appreciate the information. I wish it didn’t have to come to that but if it continues I do need to know.

Back
Top Bottom