The chick that got thrown away

friednotscrambled

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jun 25, 2019
Hatching eggs can certainly teach us about struggling for life.

I had 28 of 29 eggs hatch on day 21. Egg 29 was pipped but not making progress. I decided to give it day 22 to hatch.

I left home for a few hours and came back to an unhatched chick, with no further progress on the pipped area.

I opened the incubator and took it out for inspection. There was no sign of life, so I discarded the egg along with the eggshells from the incubator. Took the trash to the laundry room until I could take it to the garage. Then I took care of other chores in the house.

A couple hours later I grabbed the trash bag to take it to the garage. Upon picking it up I heard a faint and very forlorn 'peeeep'... oh my gosh! That little chick was alive! My heart sank. No way could it survive that, and hatch successfully.....

I quickly dug the little one out of the trash and started the incubator again - which I had put away for the year. I continued warming the little one up in my cupped hands til the incubator was 90 degrees - nearly 'to temperature '.

I carefully peeled part of the egg and exposed a considerable amount of the chick. No blood, so that was good. I placed it in the incubator and watched as the little survivor began working it's way out of the remaining shell. Not nearly as lively as it should be, I didn't give it much chance of survival. An hour later the noise from the incubator was deafening. Peep Peep Peep!!! Singing 'I will survive!'

20240320_192148.jpg

Meet Aretha/Franklin ' I will survive'

Last edited:
Wow! What a crazy story! I'm so glad that you heard it when you went to take out the trash and that it survived! This is definitely something you'll never forget. Absolutely amazing!

Please keep us updated on how it does!

Hatching eggs can certainly teach us about struggling for life.

I had 28 of 29 eggs hatch on day 21. Egg 29 was pipped but not making progress. I decided to give it day 22 to hatch.

I left home for a few hours and came back to an unhatched chick, with no further progress on the pipped area.

I opened the incubator and took it out for inspection. There was no sign of life, so I discarded the egg along with the eggshells from the incubator. Took the trash to the laundry room until I could take it to the garage. Then I took care of other chores in the house.

A couple hours later I grabbed the trash bag to take it to the garage. Upon picking it up I heard a faint and very forlorn 'peeeep'... oh my gosh! That little chick was alive! My heart sank. No way could it survive that, and hatch successfully.....

I quickly dug the little one out of the trash and started the incubator again - which I had put away for the year. I continued warming the little one up in my cupped hands til the incubator was 90 degrees - nearly 'to temperature '.

I carefully peeled part of the egg and exposed a considerable amount of the chick. No blood, so that was good. I placed it in the incubator and watched as the little survivor began working it's way out of the remaining shell. Not nearly as lively as it should be, I didn't give it much chance of survival. An hour later the noise from the incubator was deafening. Peep Peep Peep!!! Singing 'I will survive!'

View attachment 3777451
Meet Aretha/Franklin ' I will survive'
this happens a lot more than you think. I always check my eggs.

Back
Top Bottom