The one-legged chick

Hoader_of_Hens

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2024
Missouri
Hi all!

Approximately 1 week ago I picked up 8 baby chicks from a local breeder. The chicks seemed to be thriving but after a few days I noticed that one of the chick's foot was smaller than the other. I decided to keep a close eye and monitor the situation. The chick seemed to be eating, drinking, and fluttering around without any challenges.
I am pretty diligent about spending time with my chicks, however, I came down with the flu and decided it would be best not to handle them. After two days, I went in to check on the chicks and noticed that the one that had a small foot was dragging it's back leg. I picked up the chick and to my horror, it's entire foot was black and shriveled up.
I am not sure if something happened to the chick while it was developing. There were zero signs of injury/infection that could have led to this happening.
Despite the deformity, the chick seemed to be doing well and was interacting well with the other. However, today I heard loud chirping from the brooder and when I went in to investigate, I found that the chicks had peck the dead foot nearly off!
I applied Neosporin and wrapped the foot in Coban. I'm not sure if there is much else I can do for this little guy (named the chick Uno) but any suggestions would be great! I'm hoping Uno pulls through and thrives.

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of the leg and of Uno.

Since the foot seemed to turn black and shrivel up, I would suspect at some point circulation was cut off (leg band too tight/hair or string wrapped around the foot, etc.) or it had been injured before you got him from the breeder (perhaps accidentally got hung in something or crushed).

When part of a leg (foot/toes) dies, often it will auto amputate which somewhat sounds like is what has happened. The chick may have felt some pain or the foot was irritating him somehow.

Is there any exposed bone? I think you are caring for and treating the leg as most of us would.
If he's able to get around o.k. with wrappings then I'd keep him fairly active, he can adapt, but may have a harder time as he gains weight and gets older.
You can also place him in a chick chair for periods of rest. This will help keep him upright but take weight off the legs.

Here's a thread about chairs https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

While the loss of the foot is not from Frostbite, how you dead and dying digits/feet/legs that will auto amputate is all basically the same.
This article and the lengthy thread about the same hen may give you some tips on how to care for the foot, plus how wrap and help him adapt.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/account/bookmarks?label=Frostbite
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/matilda-is-going-to-lose-her-feet.1454933/

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of the leg and of Uno.

Since the foot seemed to turn black and shrivel up, I would suspect at some point circulation was cut off (leg band too tight/hair or string wrapped around the foot, etc.) or it had been injured before you got him from the breeder (perhaps accidentally got hung in something or crushed).

When part of a leg (foot/toes) dies, often it will auto amputate which somewhat sounds like is what has happened. The chick may have felt some pain or the foot was irritating him somehow.

Is there any exposed bone? I think you are caring for and treating the leg as most of us would.
If he's able to get around o.k. with wrappings then I'd keep him fairly active, he can adapt, but may have a harder time as he gains weight and gets older.
You can also place him in a chick chair for periods of rest. This will help keep him upright but take weight off the legs.

Here's a thread about chairs https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

While the loss of the foot is not from Frostbite, how you dead and dying digits/feet/legs that will auto amputate is all basically the same.
This article and the lengthy thread about the same hen may give you some tips on how to care for the foot, plus how wrap and help him adapt.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/account/bookmarks?label=Frostbite
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/matilda-is-going-to-lose-her-feet.1454933/
Thank you so much!!! This is all extremely helpful!
I have attached photos of the leg when it shriveled up and then yesterday when it was mostly detached after the other chicks pecked at it.
There is no exposed bone, and while the image of partially detached foot is disturbing, when I inspected it before treating with Neosporin and a wrap, it did appear that the "stump" was healed over (like the leg was healing underneath the dying foot.)

Attachments

• PXL_20240402_160916667.jpg
    PXL_20240402_160916667.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20240405_000008891.jpg
    PXL_20240405_000008891.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 24
Poor little thing!

I wonder if a string or hair was wrapped around the foot, the wound edges are so even, it looks like circulation was cut off.

This will take time, but hopefully it will auto amputate with no issues.

Update on Uno.
Uno appears to be doing very well, the foot has not completely detached but the leg looks MUCH better! We have been keeping the chick separate during the day and allowing it to sleep in the brooder with the other chicks at night which seems to be working very well.

Attachments

• PXL_20240406_193426641.jpg
    PXL_20240406_193426641.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 16
Update on Uno.
Uno appears to be doing very well, the foot has not completely detached but the leg looks MUCH better! We have been keeping the chick separate during the day and allowing it to sleep in the brooder with the other chicks at night which seems to be working very well.
I am glad Uno is better

He's doing good!
I've been working with him on flying from point A to point B rather than dragging his leg behind him. I have also been trying to help strengthen the other leg but I'm sure this will all take time.
I was worried that he was going to get picked on by the rest of the flock but they seem almost protective of him.
I felt comfortable moving him to our outdoor coop this past weekend and he is just as happy as everyone else.

That's wonderful that he is doing so well, that sounds like a great idea, teaching him to fly instead of drag his leg around! I'm sure he'll catch on in time 🙃 Wow, that's sweet that they are almost protective over him. He sounds like he will have just as good of a life as any of the other hens, with your care! Great job!
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom