The Wally-Gee Bee Journey šŸ

We will have below freezing temps again next week. Should I put syrup out anyway? The farthest out forecast says 30-33 overnight lows a week out.
Definitely put 1:1 sugar syrup on. They just wont go up into the feeder when it gets cold. As soon as it warms up during the day bees will go up and feed. 1:1 sugar syrup has a low freezing temperature and 2:1 even lower. I think you're using a hive top feeder so add 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar per gallon of sugar syrup if you want to keep the syrup from getting moldy and fuzzy(even though it doesnt harm the bees).

I got a random phone call this afternoon from my very good bee friend. ā€œIā€™m going to the bee yard, wanna ride?ā€ Of course, I said yes. Iā€™m now the proud owner of a very heavy swarm trap. He doesnā€™t know how long they have been in there. Probably gonna be some cutting involved. Who cares? More bees!

IMG_3867.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3869.jpeg
    IMG_3869.jpeg
    703.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3870.jpeg
    IMG_3870.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3871.jpeg
    IMG_3871.jpeg
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3872.jpeg
    IMG_3872.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3873.jpeg
    IMG_3873.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
So, today I HAD to deal with the swarm trap. The bearding and ball of bees on the bottom spoke to me. The red deep box, I built it too tight and could only fit 9 frames. The 10th wouldnā€™t quite squeeze in. Lots of brood, pollen and nectar with some capped honey along the top of the frames. I had to cut huge pieces of comb off the bottom of the frames. I reframed that to finish the 9 frames. I had some leftover that was unusable that I will melt down. I found the queen and caged her while we sorted through everything. My buddy showed up to cheer me on and get a little video. Iā€™ll get my daughter to help me get that on YT. Itā€™s just me releasing the queen. Thereā€™s a little entertainment value in there. There was a massive amount of bees in that box so we added an excluder and super.

Back
Top Bottom