Thinking of adding lonely chicken to my flock of 3

Ankarankar

Chirping
May 8, 2022
North Carolina
I had 4 Wyandottes which i raised for chicks about a week old. About 3 months ago something got into the pen and broke one of my chickens neck. So I have three chickens who have been together all their life. A lady is moving and she only has one chicken keft who is very lonely after an attack from a predator killed her whole flock except for this one. Do you advise me to take this lonely chicken and if so, how do I introduce them. Two of them are dominant with one that is more picked on but she seems to just be more submissive and they dont hurt her. Any advise? Thank you all so much in advance!

Hello!

I would say that taking the lone chicken is not at all a bad idea and will definitely benefit her and even you.

Introducing is relatively easy, though it is a process. Since your existing flock is already small, adding her shouldn’t be a problem.

There isn’t one specific way to introduce new flock members. What I am sharing is only what I usually do, but others may have different ideas or tips.

First, it is recommended that you quarantine any new bird for a while, usually at least two weeks, to ensure that it doesn’t bring any diseases, parasites, or other things over to your birds. Then you should keep her in a cage that your other hens can see and be around (inside the coop or run), but can’t get into or be able to peck at or hurt the single chicken inside. Keep her in there for about a week (or longer if you feel that it is needed) so that they can all get used to each other and no one feels like there’s any intruder. At this point you can then let her out to be with the others but make sure to keep a close eye on them in case they don’t get along. Typically, the larger the run, the less you have to be concerned for everyone’s safety because they should all have a place to escape each other’s pecking. A little scuffling and a few pecks is normal. They will have to establish a pecking order among themselves and this is how they express dominance. It’s nothing to be worried about.

That being said, it can be slightly dangerous for a newcomer if the others are incessantly chasing or pecking at her, or if she doesn’t have anywhere to hide. The key is to watch the flock and observe how they interact with each other, and to intervene only if there is a serious issue. Most likely everything will be fine, because like I said before, a small flock is safer to add new birds into and it is natural for chickens to want to be dominant over one another.

Others may have more advice, but I hope this helps at least a little!

Hello!

I would say that taking the lone chicken is not at all a bad idea and will definitely benefit her and even you.

Introducing is relatively easy, though it is a process. Since your existing flock is already small, adding her shouldn’t be a problem.

There isn’t one specific way to introduce new flock members. What I am sharing is only what I usually do, but others may have different ideas or tips.

First, it is recommended that you quarantine any new bird for a while, usually at least two weeks, to ensure that it doesn’t bring any diseases, parasites, or other things over to your birds. Then you should keep her in a cage that your other hens can see and be around (inside the coop or run), but can’t get into or be able to peck at or hurt the single chicken inside. Keep her in there for about a week (or longer if you feel that it is needed) so that they can all get used to each other and no one feels like there’s any intruder. At this point you can then let her out to be with the others but make sure to keep a close eye on them in case they don’t get along. Typically, the larger the run, the less you have to be concerned for everyone’s safety because they should all have a place to escape each other’s pecking. A little scuffling and a few pecks is normal. They will have to establish a pecking order among themselves and this is how they express dominance. It’s nothing to be worried about.

That being said, it can be slightly dangerous for a newcomer if the others are incessantly chasing or pecking at her, or if she doesn’t have anywhere to hide. The key is to watch the flock and observe how they interact with each other, and to intervene only if there is a serious issue. Most likely everything will be fine, because like I said before, a small flock is safer to add new birds into and it is natural for chickens to want to be dominant over one another.

Others may have more advice, but I hope this helps at least a little!
Thank you so much! I never thought of the other chicken having a disease! It is cold so i would have to keep the chicken in a cage in the house I guess. We have an eglu so they sleep together and they stay very warm. But i also have an outside run that is fenced in that i ise during the summer for when she can be i trodiced. Thanks again!!!!

Thank you so much! I never thought of the other chicken having a disease! It is cold so i would have to keep the chicken in a cage in the house I guess. We have an eglu so they sleep together and they stay very warm. But i also have an outside run that is fenced in that i ise during the summer for when she can be i trodiced. Thanks again!!!!
Of course! Happy to help! Feel free to ask if you ever have any other questions as well! 😄

Back
Top Bottom