Tiny black insects (from feed bags?)

fat brown hen

Songster
Jun 12, 2022
I keep my feed bags in a repurposed cabinet in the chicken coop. Recently noticed that the bags were covered in a bajillion tiny black bugs. Like, every square inch. It's maybe possible that the bugs are everywhere in the coop, and that I only noticed the ones on the feed bags because the bags are light colored.

IMG_1033.jpg

The ruler in the picture shows a centimeter scale, so the bugs are only 1mm or 2mm at most. Any entomology experts in the forum recognize these things? I picked them up with clear plastic tape and put the tape on white paper to see them better. So that is why they look smashed.

Under a magnifying glass:
Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 1.46.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 1.46.32 PM.png

Not an expert, but this guide has a good amount of photos and measurements (albeit in inches) of grain/feed pests:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...UQFnoECBEQBQ&usg=AOvVaw1d6iWDM46dAxJ-C4cVYL1_

I find weevils pretty regularly in some of my feedbags (most often scratch grains), and while they are probably the same size as your bugs they have that long, distinctive snout and yours do not. So I'd be looking at similarly sized options from this guide, at least until someone more knowledgeable chimes in.

Edit: I liked the Rusty Grain beetle as a possibility for ID--yours seem to have pretty long antennae and this could be a size match at 1/16th of an inch, but I can't quite make out body details from your photos.
Screenshot_20231019-165346.png

Last edited:
Not an expert, but this guide has a good amount of photos and measurements (albeit in inches) of grain/feed pests:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...UQFnoECBEQBQ&usg=AOvVaw1d6iWDM46dAxJ-C4cVYL1_

I find weevils pretty regularly in some of my feedbags (most often scratch grains), and while they are probably the same size as your bugs they have that long, distinctive snout and yours do not. So I'd be looking at similarly sized options from this guide, at least until someone more knowledgeable chimes in.

Edit: I liked the Rusty Grain beetle as a possibility for ID--yours seem to have pretty long antennae and this could be a size match at 1/16th of an inch, but I can't quite make out body details from your photos.
View attachment 3663234
This is a great reference, thanks! I sprayed the bags with permethrin immediately after seeing the bugs. I should have done a better job of preserving the evidence.

Back
Top Bottom