To bantam rooster, or to not bantam rooster? That is the question

I have a flock of all bantam hens (5 of them) and ended up with a standard roo who was also supposed to be a bantam hen. Meyer hatchery accident, what can ya do y’know?

I think I finally have a home for him to go to that will be a bit more appropriate, but I’m nervous about not having a rooster- and my reasons for such might be a bit silly but this is my first time with chickens.

he DOES have to go bc starting to wear the feathers on one specific hen and I just don’t have the room to get enough hens for a rooster like him- but he has done a good job. He keeps them all together, he’s a good manager (and my area has hawks) and keeps the squabbling down.

I’m considering getting a bantam roo to take his place as I’m already going to be ordering a few hens to add to my flock, a few standard hens possibly actually. Again, not enough for a standard roo but possible enough for a bantam

Do you think a bantam rooster could handle a smaller flock and protect them? Or should I just hope a really dominate hen crops up? I’m nervous for them to be taken from me. I know it’s going to happen soon but so far I’ve been lucky and no chicken death.

obviously it’s a small chicken and he will only be able to do so much, but even just sounding the alarm is good enough

Does anyone have any insight to offer? Do you think my flock would be fine without a roo? I need a manager chicken who won’t let my girls die

Ive read silkies and Cochins can be friendly and docile but can be good defenders if need be?

Here’s a thank you picture for reading
I currently have a 4year old bantam rooster who is getting lonelier by the day. He is not docile in the least and has had to ward off a few hawks over the years. He mostly lures them away from the flock and then runs like hell for cover lol. We had gotten him 3 standard hens who surpassed his size very quickly but no shame in his game I'll tell u that. He tried his damnedest to fertilize those eggs. Anyway, due to a faulty automatic door, we had a family of coons get in their coop just before this past winter. When I say family I mean they were greatly outnumbered. While we did lose two of the girls in the attack he somehow managed to keep himself and his Rhode Island Red out of harms way. We unfortunately lost her a few days ago and he is pissed! I'm either looking to re-home him or get a few older hens. I'm afraid what being alone for too long will do to his temperment. He's a great rooster when it comes to his flock so don't let the size fool ya. I've seen grown men run from this little guy.

Back
Top Bottom