To soy or not to soy - that is the question!

Pics
My allergy to soy is actually an inhalant allergy---inhaling soy dust, soy candle fragrance etc triggers an asthma response (and pretty severe one, for me...). I also am allergic to dust mite, mold, and cat dander. Being around cats--fine, letting their dander sit around in carpet along with dust mites etc, forget it. I now live in a 100% carpet free home with four cats and have zero symptoms.

I'm hard pressed to completely rule out that people can't be allergic to minute amounts of grains/feeds that chickens eat mainly because I feel that in some areas the medical field is still extremely primitive. Allergies and autoimmune diseases come to mind.
I'm not entirely certain what it is you think you are arguing here, or where you think I completely denied that some allergens do make it from the digestive tract to the blood stream. I didn't say otherwise.

I did say that many do not. I did say that if you don't know what you are actually allergic to, its impossible to determine from the literature whether or not that chemical does cross from the GI to the bloodstream, or where/if it accumulates in the bird and at what ratios.

if you happen to be so allergic to a particular chemical that you can't safely handle the feed bag, whether or not you have chickens is immaterial to managing your allergy - but tells you nothing about whether or not the chicken (or its eggs) also poses an allergen risk.

Speaking only for myself, I prefer not to make medical decisions based on "feels". You will note a theme in my post you responded to - the difficulty of making an educated decision about a particularl allergen, when you don't in fact know what the allergen is.

It was egg blues who said allergens were proteins, actually. At least two posters pointed out that -at least as the language is commonly used - that's not true.

and it is possible to inhale proteins to which one is allergic, if the source is treated in the right (wrong?) way. The fine powder created by repeat abrasion of crushed or milled grains against one another is a classic case, and at the correct fuel/air ratio, those suspended dust clouds are positively explosive. and obviously not all protein. but not no protein, either.

Yes, and for those of us with asthma especially, any dust/ particulate matter in not good to inhale.
Mary
Even for those w/o asthma.

Accidentally inahalling the powdered sugar off the top of a jelly doughnut has been painful more than once for me.

I once tried to give myself a terrible infextion by accidentally inhaling mold/fungus spores while moving a batch of old wood chips that weren't as dry as I thought.

and I vaguely recall people complaining about accidentally inhaling finely ground protein powder back when that was a thing. A fad now thankfully faded. We are back to superbeets, right?
Yeah. PSA. Don't Inhale. ;P

It was egg blues who said allergens were proteins, actually. At least two posters pointed out that -at least as the language is commonly used - that's not true.

and it is possible to inhale proteins to which one is allergic, if the source is treated in the right (wrong?) way. The fine powder created by repeat abrasion of crushed or milled grains against one another is a classic case, and at the correct fuel/air ratio, those suspended dust clouds are positively explosive. and obviously not all protein. but not no protein, either.
The language used is incorrect--a bit like calling a spider a "bug." Bugs are, technically/officially, any member of the hemiptera order of insects...but some people would even call a gecko a bug!

Allergens, which are or contain proteins, are easily inhaled, to include pollen, the excreta of dust mites, etc.

Toxins, which are typically chemicals or elements, can also cause a reaction in people, but this is not classed as an allergic response, even if it involves the immune system.

For example, it is improper to speak of being "allergic" to chicken pox, even though the immune system properly responded to the viral proteins of the virus. Whereas the body will develop immunity to the chicken pox virus, and will no longer succumb to it nor become symptomatic in its presence, an allergy will produce symptoms when exposed to something in the environment to which "immunity" does not apply; e.g. food items. Essentially, an allergy is always a "false positive" reaction of the immune system whereby that system misidentifies the enemy--in some of the worst cases the enemy is considered to be oneself, i.e. autoimmune disorder.

Beyond allergies, there are other bodily reactions that can be attributed to "sensitivities." Some people, for example, have sensitivities to sunlight, to smog, to EMF, etc. These are not allergies, but they might be classed as environmental disorders.

And then there are drug reactions. Drinking coffee and getting a headache from the caffeine is a drug reaction, not an allergy, unless one can be certain that the headache was an immune response to the protein of the coffee bean and not merely a drug-induced reaction to the caffeine.

And that's why I offered the caveat "as the language is commonly used", which only furthers my point about how useless claims of having a (food) allergy, as opposed to a (substance) allergy truly is when trying to determine how it might affect you to eat something that ate something...

Also, I only get the caffeine headache when I'm suffering coffee withdrawal. For the record.

Back
Top Bottom