Transport Crates

I forgot to take a picture last night. I did find this one on my phone though. You can get the jist of my pallet crate from here though. This was is only 2 tier. Holds about 40 6 1/2 week old Cornish crosses. These birds averaged 5.8 lbs dressed.

Attachments

• AAB2C16D-A043-478A-9330-CE2A6E7DDD93.jpeg
    AAB2C16D-A043-478A-9330-CE2A6E7DDD93.jpeg
    359.5 KB · Views: 96
I forgot to take a picture last night. I did find this one on my phone though. You can get the jist of my pallet crate from here though. This was is only 2 tier. Holds about 40 6 1/2 week old Cornish crosses. These birds averaged 5.8 lbs dressed.

That looks like a good build. Should be fine. The main issue will be disinfecting, so keep that in mind. Will the bottom layer sit on the ground? If so, I would consider adding feet to it.

I use Rabbit Cages I made myself to transport chickens or any small livestock. Since I built them myself and I made 4 of them that fit perfectly in the back of my van. When I stack them I put a layer of feed bags between top and bottom so top chickens do not poop on bottom chickens. The Pallet design sounds like it should work fine but if you want something lightweight then do the rabbit cage trick. They weigh less for the amount of storage space and the fitting allowance is smaller due to being made out of wire.

If you can keep the structure using Chicken Wire I believe that's a better option than what I do. However rabbit cages can be sold on craigslist easily after once use for more than value of the materials used.

The processor I go to has a telehandler that they can unload it with. I hate when i get there behind guys with chickens "loose" in cattle trailers and the like. Takes them forever to unload as they have to catch each bird individually and place in crates. Last time I got stock behind a group of 800 needing unloaded by hand and stuffed in processing plant supplied crates. I can rent crates from my processor, but that would require a drive down there the day before to pick them up. They only charge $2/crate for rental, but the 2.5 hr drive total is what turns me off that idea. Plus, I plan to continue raising these birds so having a more permanent transport solution instead of just renting cages makes the most sense. Long term, I'd like to get the poultry producers processing exemption in Illinois so that I could legally process and sell my own birds. However, that would require me to completely renovate my garage or put up a building dedicated to that. Thats a few years down the line. Ideally it'd be a meat processing facility in the back, certified kitchen in the middle, and a store upfront to sell my meat, eggs, produce, and canned goods out of.
Can you provide a link to more info on the poultry processing exemtion? I'm also in Illinois but haven't heard of it. It'd be nice to be able to earn some money to cover costs later down the road.

Can you provide a link to more info on the poultry processing exemtion? I'm also in Illinois but haven't heard of it. It'd be nice to be able to earn some money to cover costs later down the road.
https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/il...TIONS&ActName=Meat+and+Poultry+Inspection+Act.

(225 ILCS 650/5) (from Ch. 56 1/2, par. 305)
Sec. 5. Part B
" Poultry raisers with respect to poultry raised on their own farms or premises (a) if such raisers slaughter, eviscerate, or further process not more than 5,000 poultry during the calendar year for which this exemption is being granted; (b) such poultry raisers do not engage in buying or selling poultry products other than those produced from poultry raised on their own farms or premises; (c) such poultry or poultry products are slaughtered, otherwise prepared, sold or delivered to the consumer on or from the premises for which the exemption is given; (d) such slaughter or preparation shall be performed in sanitary facilities, in a sanitary manner, and subject to periodic inspection by Department personnel; (e) persons desiring such exemptions shall submit in writing a request to the Department. The exemption shall be effective upon written notice from the Department and shall remain in effect for a period of 2 years, unless revoked. Adequate records must be maintained to assure that not more than the number of exempted poultry are slaughtered or processed in one calendar year. Such records shall be kept for one year following the termination of each exemption. Any advertisement regarding the exempt poultry or poultry products shall reflect the fact of exemption so as not to mislead the consumer to presume official inspection has been made under the Meat and Poultry Inspection Act."

Attached is PDF document with requirements of the facility.

Attachments

• Poultry Rabbit Exemption Outline of Requirements.pdf
    145.1 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom