TREATING CHICKEN x 10+ DAYS STILL SNEEZING & respiratory rattles WHAT TO DO?

Russ580

Hatching
Nov 7, 2023
Hi. I brought a 7 month old Golden Comet into my home about 10+ days ago. This is my first non-chick treatment. She was very sick outside & having open mouth breathing for a few days. At first I treated her with Corid. Ordered Tiaguard in water (generic Dena-guard) in case it is mycoplasma. Treated few days & treated with vetrx. By then she weighed 948 grams. Had weighed early in treatment 1100 gram after already losing weight. Stepped it up to .3 ml of Duramycin 72-200 twice daily for 4 days . I saw some improvement. Saw something dead in the pen may have been a gapeworm. so while on duramyacin added to Panacur paste (fenbendazole) paste twice daily too.
Her open mouth brething is not as gaspy, but still had some. So as a drastic measure have changed to Aqua-mox 500 mg divided by 3 by syringe twice daily x 4 days. The past week or so he has been stable, eating lightly what she likes (tomatos- applesauce - a little feed - and milk). Her weight is back up to 1087grams. But she still sneezes alot all day & opens her mouth to breath most of the time unless she's resting. . Vet is not an option. BTW just for good measure & replaced the Panacur with Ivermectin paste every couple days for treatment. Any ideas how to proceed with treatment to end open mouth breathing & today I am hearing a little ratling in her breathing. Watched so many videos I 've gotten confused. I had anothe Golden Comet get sick but she was dea the next day. I thought she was egg bound & possible sour crop because it was hard the first night. But she died before i could treat her. The other coop mates are healthy. Her name is Balbert.

Attachments

• SANY0139.JPG
    SANY0139.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 59
After all you've done, I'm shocked she isn't passed this, but is improving a little at least as her weight climbed instead of falling more. That's a really good sign!

I do know one thing though is she'll need a couple weeks at least of probiotics after the antibiotics and wormer, and perhaps vitamin water such as Poultry Cell or Nutra Drench all of which would help build her immunities back up in case what's left is just like us with a lingering cold.

For getting her to eat more, if you have any starter crumbles, wet some in a dish and I bet she'll chow it down. If you don't have starter or any crumbles, just mash her pellets up with water. Beats me why some chickens think that's a treat.

Balbert is a beautiful bird so hope she gets over the rest of this!

Back
Top Bottom