Trying to decide RIR or BPR

May 9, 2020
Clark County, KY
Got my order in but now have a chance to get either a few Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks.
They would be part of an order consisting of Amber Stars, Buff Orpingtons, Dominiques, and Red Stars.
I’ve never had RIR’s, these would be hatchery stock and it says they may not breed true so they may not be much different than the Red Stars just not sexlinks
I have had New Hampshires from MMcM and TSC supplier.
I’ve had several Barred Rocks, before and it’s been kind of a range from just ok to not very impressive. Those have come from the TSC suppliers.
What I’m getting are coming from McMurray’s, I’ve been pretty well satisfied with what I’ve gotten in other breeds from there.
Anybody had either of those?
Disposition of the RIR, as far as compatibly with other chickens?

Dude.
Everybody knows that Rocks ROCK!🤣

You Rock GIF

Got my order in but now have a chance to get either a few Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks.
They would be part of an order consisting of Amber Stars, Buff Orpingtons, Dominiques, and Red Stars.
I’ve never had RIR’s, these would be hatchery stock and it says they may not breed true so they may not be much different than the Red Stars just not sexlinks
I’ve had several Barred Rocks, before and it’s been kind of a range from just ok to not very impressive. Those have come from the TSC suppliers.
What I’m getting are coming from McMurray’s, I’ve been pretty well satisfied with what I’ve gotten in other breeds from there.
Thanks for sharing this post as I was considering ordering from McMurrays also and have none done it. All of mine are from TSC… I started with 4 of the barred rocks bought pullets… two later turned out to be roosters. I gave one cockerel away to a friend, and kept one. It’s now a year and after being the only person he would socialize with is now very aggressive in allowing me in the yard…. I’m hoping it’s just seasonal as he a gorgeous and BIG rooster. I lost one hen to a predator and the remaining BR hen which is also my smallest hen… enjoys pecking other hens heads while they are mating 🙈🤦🏼‍♀️. I’ve seen this happening less now, and she does have a good personality. So idk if this helps… I was told the aggression I was seeing in my rooster was him doing his job during mating season, but also a little out of character for the breed to be that aggressive. Sure I’ve tried all kinds of things to help with his tolerance of me… some work some don’t. I’ve always been told RIR were more aggressive. 🤷🏼‍♀️.

My favorites are Barnevelders, Sussex, and Brahmas.

Thanks for sharing this post as I was considering ordering from McMurrays also and have none done it. All of mine are from TSC… I started with 4 of the barred rocks bought pullets… two later turned out to be roosters. I gave one cockerel away to a friend, and kept one. It’s now a year and after being the only person he would socialize with is now very aggressive in allowing me in the yard…. I’m hoping it’s just seasonal as he a gorgeous and BIG rooster. I lost one hen to a predator and the remaining BR hen which is also my smallest hen… enjoys pecking other hens heads while they are mating 🙈🤦🏼‍♀️. I’ve seen this happening less now, and she does have a good personality. So idk if this helps… I was told the aggression I was seeing in my rooster was him doing his job during mating season, but also a little out of character for the breed to be that aggressive. Sure I’ve tried all kinds of things to help with his tolerance of me… some work some don’t. I’ve always been told RIR were more aggressive. 🤷🏼‍♀️.

My favorites are Barnevelders, Sussex, and Brahmas.
I’ve been trying to find a hatchery that sell Barnevelders…. Which other hatcheries did you consider using?

I loved my Barred Rock. She was amazing. She came from Meyers though. But McMurrays is a good hatchery too so they should have good birds. Oddly, I hated my Partridge Rock hahah but my barred was amazing. So I would say give them another chance. TSC really isn’t the best quality so I wouldn’t base anything off of that. I’ve only had a RIR cockerel but he was pretty cool and got along with everybody for the fairly short time I had him. Not sure if the hens would be the same. But if they’re basically just Red Stars anyway then I’d say try something different.

Both are excellent breeds. I only have one of each of these breeds, but if I had to choose, I would go with the Barred Rock. Both of my chickens are older and it's the RIR that's starting to show some signs of reproductive problems while the BR is still going strong, minus just some bumps on the eggshells. I also like the personality of my BR a little better. She's very bossy, but personable, and she is a stern but fair leader of our flock. But honestly both are great chickens and that's why they are so popular.

However, I saw that you said you've had BRs before but not RIRs. Why not try out the Rhodies and see if they are right for you? I don't think you'd be making some huge mistake getting the RIRs. Some people say they can be aggressive but I think that's mainly the roosters so maybe just don't plan on having a RIR roo.

Both are excellent breeds. I only have one of each of these breeds, but if I had to choose, I would go with the Barred Rock. Both of my chickens are older and it's the RIR that's starting to show some signs of reproductive problems while the BR is still going strong, minus just some bumps on the eggshells. I also like the personality of my BR a little better. She's very bossy, but personable, and she is a stern but fair leader of our flock. But honestly both are great chickens and that's why they are so popular.

However, I saw that you said you've had BRs before but not RIRs. Why not try out the Rhodies and see if they are right for you? I don't think you'd be making some huge mistake getting the RIRs. Some people say they can be aggressive but I think that's mainly the roosters so maybe just don't plan on having a RIR roo.
I find your BR personality description right on 😂. As I ended up with just one myself she definitely is little Miss Bossy but very personable.

Back
Top Bottom