Tumeric?

AZChickenlover

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 14, 2007
Golden Valley, AZ
I thought I read somewhere that tumeric is good for getting rid of certain parasites in chickens. Is that true? Are there any other nutritional benefits? MY DH bought a jar for me today from the asian market after I told him that I thought it would be good for the girls.

I personally use turmeric, which is a member of the ginger family. My wife also adds ginger and garlic to many of the foods she prepares. It has many wonderful properties and is used to treat many conditions.

Last edited:
Quote:
Could you say exactly where in the article it mentions this? I read the entire thing twice and didn't find it.

If you free-range your chickens, the eggs will be two to six times richer in beta carotene (a form of vitamin A), which will make your yolks deeper yellow/orange. Also, Lutein is a deep-yellow pigment naturally found in egg yolks.

Try this link:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/1997/971028.htm

Also, I googled the words, Turmeric, coccidia, and Poultry, and got lots of responsed. I didn't ivestigate but a few. I have to run get a power source for my computer (I'm working on my daughter's).

We let our 3 hens "freerange" in our fenced yard for the moment, but we are going to build a run this summer. I am tired of scraping chicken poop off the porches, the furniture, the grill, the walk ways, the lawn, my shoes, ect. ect.!!!!!!!!!!

We just bought turmeric for our flock because this past fall and winter they have battled Infectious Laryngotracheitis and were also exposed to Avian Tuberculosis. Enough already! I bought the turmeric (along with a ton of other stuff we need to sterilize the barn and improve their health, etc) because I read Turmeric is an Immune System booster. Too soon to tell but we have been using it daily for several days; our chickens seem happy with it. I had to laugh because after I bought it for the chickens I noticed it displayed at the pharmacy counter, too! It is pretty inexpensive as you don't have to use much.

It also seems to great for us also!

Just a little note of caution if you're going to use it for yourself (or other people for that matter), my herb book, A Woman's Guide to Healing Herbs has a caution in it that it should not be used as a home remedy if you have ulcers, gallstones or bile duct obstruction. It is safe as a food herb (like in cooking).​

Back
Top Bottom