Turkey poult swelling of the eye and ear?

LisaKitten22

Chirping
Sep 22, 2023
My husband and I are new to raising any livestock, but one of our turkey poults is especially worrisome to us currently. We don't know if it's a tom or hen yet, but I tend to call it 'her'. She came with a swollen right eye, but I read on a forum on BYC that someone else had that happen with their turkeys twice and if they could change how they handled the situation to leaving it alone, they would. There's no discharge from the eye, although I suspect the ducklings have gone too crazy in their waterer and that's what on her head. The other turkey poults started to pick on this one and today I noticed what I think was swelling behind her ear. If anyone knows what we can do aside from separation since I plan on making my husband get the dog crate ready for that tonight, it would be very appreciated! I do think the pictures make it look a bit worse than it is. She wasn't scared of my phone like all the other birds, but I think that has to do with her loving being held since we got her. 🥰

tempImageuwaUYv.png tempImageNK0Tiq.png tempImagecoiUUj.png tempImage1SNbbI.png

Attachments

• tempImageLPTn0h.png
    tempImageLPTn0h.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 7
  • tempImage1MZI91.png
    tempImage1MZI91.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
  • tempImageKWBZan.png
    tempImageKWBZan.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 7
  • tempImageowV54H.png
    tempImageowV54H.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
You could try putting some Terramycin on "her" eye. That is a broad-spectrum antibiotic meant for eyes. If no infection, at least it might sooth her eye. You could also try rinsing it first in a saline solution to clean it in case something's in there. Good you are separating her so it doesn't get worse. Good luck!

You could try putting some Terramycin on "her" eye. That is a broad-spectrum antibiotic meant for eyes. If no infection, at least it might sooth her eye. You could also try rinsing it first in a saline solution to clean it in case something's in there. Good you are separating her so it doesn't get worse. Good luck!
I'll have to look into the Terramycin and see if I can grab some! By saline solution do you mean a store-bought kind of thing or salt water solution? Sorry, I would've responded sooner, but college classes keep me super busy at times.

"She" was lookin' real cute today and wanted to say hi!

Attachments

• 3E53036E-43F7-401A-BAF7-BD5A4E16172F_1_102_o.jpeg
    3E53036E-43F7-401A-BAF7-BD5A4E16172F_1_102_o.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 6A51396A-500A-4350-B2C0-195043BFE20A_1_102_o.jpeg
    6A51396A-500A-4350-B2C0-195043BFE20A_1_102_o.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 8E943B8D-0312-47B6-A904-CF77FF82D189_1_102_o.jpeg
    8E943B8D-0312-47B6-A904-CF77FF82D189_1_102_o.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 5
  • tempImageUk91fD.png
    tempImageUk91fD.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
I'll have to look into the Terramycin and see if I can grab some! By saline solution do you mean a store-bought kind of thing or salt water solution? Sorry, I would've responded sooner, but college classes keep me super busy at times.
You can make your own, or it's in pharmacy sections. Four cups water and two teaspoons of salt. Boil and cool.

Edit: You posted new pictures as I was typing the above. Now that I see that new picture, maybe you could go straight to the Terramycin and forgo the rinse, but both things can't hurt. It doesn't look sore or infected at all so I'm curious what happened that she came to you that way.

You can make your own, or it's in pharmacy sections. Four cups water and two teaspoons of salt. Boil and cool.

Edit: You posted new pictures as I was typing the above. Now that I see that new picture, maybe you could go straight to the Terramycin and forgo the rinse, but both things can't hurt. It doesn't look sore or infected at all so I'm curious what happened that she came to you that way.
Do you think it’s possible she has the Turkey equivalent to a lazy eye? She uses it to look around and tilts her head a lot. But yeah both is good. Rather be safe anyway.

Do you think it’s possible she has the Turkey equivalent to a lazy eye? She uses it to look around and tilts her head a lot. But yeah both is good. Rather be safe anyway.
I never heard of it but I suppose lazy eye could be a possibility. I wonder if she got poked right when she hatched and it's just grew like that. I guess doing a couple things to be on the safe side won't hurt but I'm wondering if it'll help. At least you can say you tried. ☺️

Update: She died. I was checking all the animals and she fell on her side, started to convulse. My husband held her for a while trying to see if she was choking or if he could do anything for her, but in all honesty I think we got to her too late.

Back
Top Bottom