Turkeys part 2

karri25

Songster
12 Years
Feb 5, 2007
Arkansas
Also, if anyone has any web sites that give me lots of turkey info I would really appreciate it. The more I learn, the more I am scared! I thought they would be just like chickens! Oh well, I just need to learn and I'm afraid that I might be doing something that's hurting them so I am trying to find out what all I need to do!

Runny poop is not normal. It means they have some kind of upset going on, whether it's bacterial, viral, or parasitic. Sometimes it could be something they ate and it will resolve itself. The best thing to do is make sure that you have them on the proper diet, worm them, and if that doesn't solve the problem, you may have to give them antibiotics.

What are you feeding them now? Are you giving them fresh water? Turkeys have a different diet than chickens, so make sure that you're feeding them turkey feed that's at least 22% protein or wild game bird feed.

Stacey

Thanks so much. I had been feeding them chick grower because our feed store has been out of game feed. They are supposed to get some by this Saturday. I am giving them fresh water and they are also ranging around the yard in a portable chicken house. Should I and can I give them terramyacin? Do you think that would help them until I can get them on the right feed? I don't know, I just want them to be healthy and strong and I can't find a good solid care sheet like I could for my chickens. It's frustrating.
I appreciate your help!

Try feeding your turkeys some saurkraut. Mom recently read in the book "The Great Bird Flu Hoax" by Dr. Joseph Mercola that the Koreans feed their poultry kimchi ( their version of saurkraut) and their birds stay healthy. Saturday at the Indiana chickenstock I was talking to someone about it, and she said her mother gave her sick poultry saurkraut and it worked. I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet, but might feed some to my birds soon to boost their immune systems.
Good luck with your turkeys!

Back
Top Bottom