Turtles for the pond?

cassandrapettersson

Emu obsessed
Sep 8, 2022
Sweden
Okay so,
Me and my mom have been wanting to dig a pond for a while now, and we've been interested in getting a turtle(s) for it.
Though there are a few things we are uncertain about nor can find information on the web for.

We live in sweden, it gets real cold here. Average temp in the winter varies but it's mostly negative degrees celsius.
So, having a turtle out in the pond under the winter would be impossible right? Or would they bury and hibernate in the pond, and survive?
My mom thinks they'd hibernate though I'm unsure due to the cold. I was looking for turtle species and the one who is the most cold tolerate can only be in negative 2 degrees (Still celsius)

If they can't live in the pond during the winter, maybe we could set up a tank? Like just your average turtle tank. Or would the change in scenery be stressful every once a year?

I need opinions on this :)

+ I do my research, I really enjoy it honestly. So it's not like I'd put a turtle in a 5 galloon tank and call it a day... I find turtles to be really interesting and I love learning about their proper care :wee

Okay so,
Me and my mom have been wanting to dig a pond for a while now, and we've been interested in getting a turtle(s) for it.
Though there are a few things we are uncertain about nor can find information on the web for.

We live in sweden, it gets real cold here. Average temp in the winter varies but it's mostly negative degrees celsius.
So, having a turtle out in the pond under the winter would be impossible right? Or would they bury and hibernate in the pond, and survive?
My mom thinks they'd hibernate though I'm unsure due to the cold. I was looking for turtle species and the one who is the most cold tolerate can only be in negative 2 degrees (Still celsius)

If they can't live in the pond during the winter, maybe we could set up a tank? Like just your average turtle tank. Or would the change in scenery be stressful every once a year?

I need opinions on this :)

+ I do my research, I really enjoy it honestly. So it's not like I'd put a turtle in a 5 galloon tank and call it a day... I find turtles to be really interesting and I love learning about their proper care :wee
maybe there's something that can heat the pond if so neccesary?

Back
Top Bottom