Upgrading already šŸ˜…

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
So Iā€™m trying to go from a short 40ā€ tall run to a larger one bc after adding tarp, Iā€™m realizing that the sun isnā€™t reaching these girls, and Iā€™m feeling really bad about that. I couldnā€™t bear it during the 5 straight days of rain, and now Iā€™m thinking ahead to the winter days. Soā€¦.. Iā€™m going to try this large 20x10x6.5 run (those simple metal frame structures) . yes I know about hardware cloth and all that, bc itā€™s what I did for my OG run. So my question, it looks like thereā€™s a lot of room for dipping on The roof, and I wanted to add some pvc pieces as reinforcements. Can I buy 6 t-connectors and slip it Over the metal side pieces of the roof? Then connect pvc pipes to the middle frame to add reinforcement as part of the roof before adding tarp or clear roofing? I will add 16 gaugewelded wire over the roof to reinforce as well, so will I need the additional pvc ? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5841.jpeg
    IMG_5841.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
So Iā€™m trying to go from a short 40ā€ tall run to a larger one bc after adding tarp, Iā€™m realizing that the sun isnā€™t reaching these girls, and Iā€™m feeling really bad about that. I couldnā€™t bear it during the 5 straight days of rain, and now Iā€™m thinking ahead to the winter days. Soā€¦.. Iā€™m going to try this large 20x10x6.5 run (those simple metal frame structures) . yes I know about hardware cloth and all that, bc itā€™s what I did for my OG run. So my question, it looks like thereā€™s a lot of room for dipping on The roof, and I wanted to add some pvc pieces as reinforcements. Can I buy 6 t-connectors and slip it Over the metal side pieces of the roof? Then connect pvc pipes to the middle frame to add reinforcement as part of the roof before adding tarp or clear roofing? I will add 16 gaugewelded wire over the roof to reinforce as well, so will I need the additional pvc ? Thanks!
Going off of what I've heard about these pens is it's usually the roof that's the problem, so whichever is cheapest, I think either of your ideas would work. I'd get a very heavy-duty tarp you can zip strip down as I don't know the weather in NJ, but those that come with it don't last one winter here. (Wisconsin). Your hardware cloth will strengthen the sides well.

Going off of what I've heard about these pens is it's usually the roof that's the problem, so whichever is cheapest, I think either of your ideas would work. I'd get a very heavy-duty tarp you can zip strip down as I don't know the weather in NJ, but those that come with it don't last one winter here. (Wisconsin).
Definitely not planning to use the one that it will come with, I have seen reviews if those, they are basically poncho material that will rip so fast at the worst possible time..

Back
Top Bottom