Urgent: post-amputation care, advice needed/I thought I would spend my Saturday doing this...

Pics
Hey everybody, I've got some bad news this morning.
Rosie passed away last night, I'm assuming in her sleep because of the position my father found her in. He's been helping with the chickens since I've been working more and has been feeding the little coop.
I believe it was a heart episode, she has had what I believe was heart failure for a few years now, but it was one of those things that I kept thinking would kill her but never did, she just sort of kept puttering on.
Yesterday she was fine, I let her out and she dust bathed and laid in the sun with the bantams. She has been so active the last few weeks and was finally getting back to her old self.

As for her leg, it was almost healed. The scab was healthy and thick, the scales were growing back, and for the last few weeks she has been without a bandage. Being in the free air really seemed to help the stump, it was healing faster without it and never cracked or peeled off until the skin underneath healed. It didn't seem to hurt her so much anymore, and she has been much friendlier.

I looked her over and there are no visible injuries or signs of infection, nothing that stands out to me. I also checked the bantams, nothing there, although I'll be keeping a closer eye on them over the next few days since they were in close proximity with the body.

Anyway, I'm heartbroken, but I can't say I wasn't prepared. She's an elderly hen with underlying conditions, and she didn't come from the best home before I got her so who knows what really happened.
The rest of the flock is very rowdy this morning, and being usually loud. I wonder if they know.
I just hope I made the right choice keeping her going for so long, and I hope that she didn't resent me for all the mistakes I made.

Thank you everyone for helping her for so long, and giving her so much of your time, advice, and well wishes, we both appreciate it.

Hey everybody, I've got some bad news this morning.
Rosie passed away last night, I'm assuming in her sleep because of the position my father found her in. He's been helping with the chickens since I've been working more and has been feeding the little coop.
I believe it was a heart episode, she has had what I believe was heart failure for a few years now, but it was one of those things that I kept thinking would kill her but never did, she just sort of kept puttering on.
Yesterday she was fine, I let her out and she dust bathed and laid in the sun with the bantams. She has been so active the last few weeks and was finally getting back to her old self.

As for her leg, it was almost healed. The scab was healthy and thick, the scales were growing back, and for the last few weeks she has been without a bandage. Being in the free air really seemed to help the stump, it was healing faster without it and never cracked or peeled off until the skin underneath healed. It didn't seem to hurt her so much anymore, and she has been much friendlier.

I looked her over and there are no visible injuries or signs of infection, nothing that stands out to me. I also checked the bantams, nothing there, although I'll be keeping a closer eye on them over the next few days since they were in close proximity with the body.

Anyway, I'm heartbroken, but I can't say I wasn't prepared. She's an elderly hen with underlying conditions, and she didn't come from the best home before I got her so who knows what really happened.
The rest of the flock is very rowdy this morning, and being usually loud. I wonder if they know.
I just hope I made the right choice keeping her going for so long, and I hope that she didn't resent me for all the mistakes I made.

Thank you everyone for helping her for so long, and giving her so much of your time, advice, and well wishes, we both appreciate it.
I'm very sorry to hear about Rosie:hugs

You did a good taking care of her, I'm sure you will miss her very much.
Thank you for all the photos, the updates and sharing your journey with us. Your posts will be helpful to others that may face similar issues in the future.

I am sorry to hear Rosie passed away. I have thought of you both and wondered how she was doing. She continued to enjoy her life after the amputation, died peacefully in her sleep, and you gave her your all to help her life reach its natural conclusion. In the end that's the best any of us can do. Rest in Peace warrior Rosie.

Back
Top Bottom