Use grit or oyster shell on floor of Pen?

gurley157FS

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Midlands, South Carolina
I am building my chicken coop and pen inside a fenced garden area. My chicks will have to stay in locked in the pen most of the time except when I am at home on weekends because of problems we have with loose dogs and other predators. We have already lost one pet rabbit and a cat. I now keep hot-wire around my rabbit hutch.

ANYWAY, can I put a base of grit and/or oyster shell in the pen to keep it from getting muddy? Will they just sit around and eat it? I could also put down a base of sand if this would be better.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Have you thought of a chicken tractor that you can move to new ground constantly?

As for your pen, I would say that a sand bottom would allow drainage and if you did put down oyster shell, they won't eat it unless they need it. As long as it's not on low ground and the chicken concentration isn't too high, you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Since I have two votes for sand I believe I will go for sand.

As for the tractor I want to make one but I cannot leave them unattended when I am not home.

Neighborhood dogs have torn chicken wire right off my rabbit hutch to get at our rabbits. I want to have them (the chickens) protected by hotwire when I am not there. The entire coop and pen is surrounded by hotwire and soon I will enclose the entire garden area with it.

Years past, when I had a stable, the entire property was surrounded by hotwire just to keep from having to fix fences that the horses damaged. I did not realize at the time how many other animals that I was keeping OUT!

Back
Top Bottom