Using DLM. Should I worm my quails?

dorawinifred

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Once again, I'm a first time quail owner and my first generation flock is now a few months old. It's definitely been a learn-as-I-go process but one thing I'm confused about is worming. My quails live on the ground with a deep litter system and I know for certain they are eating all the critters that come into their enclosure. I came across a post, perhaps here or another site, that mentioned quails on a deep litter system should be wormed...but there seems to be a lot of variation in how quail owners go about doing it and I'm just kind of confused!

Can I get a quick survey of what more experienced quail owners have done? Is it safe to worm them just for preventative measures, or should I watch for symptoms first? Do I need to take any special cleaning considerations with their pen, since they're pooping directly into their substrate and living on it?

In case my anxiety doesn't translate well via text, I have had a lifelong phobia of internal parasites 😅

Parasites are creepy, so you're not alone there.

The only problem with dosing them regularly is the issue of the parasites building up an immunity to the medication, therefore making it ineffective over time (which is becoming more of a problem in farming as well as with humans in relation to 'superbugs' in hospitals etc). I only ever worm if I think there's a problem, and I've probably only wormed my birds once in the 6 years we've kept them because they had moved into an aviary with lots of cockatiels who like to feed on the floor of the aviary.

If you do want to worm regularly you will have to use one product one year then switch to a different one the next and vary what you use as much as possible because different worming medications work differently making it harder for any immunity to build up in the parasites.

Once again, I'm a first time quail owner and my first generation flock is now a few months old. It's definitely been a learn-as-I-go process but one thing I'm confused about is worming. My quails live on the ground with a deep litter system and I know for certain they are eating all the critters that come into their enclosure. I came across a post, perhaps here or another site, that mentioned quails on a deep litter system should be wormed...but there seems to be a lot of variation in how quail owners go about doing it and I'm just kind of confused!

Can I get a quick survey of what more experienced quail owners have done? Is it safe to worm them just for preventative measures, or should I watch for symptoms first? Do I need to take any special cleaning considerations with their pen, since they're pooping directly into their substrate and living on it?

In case my anxiety doesn't translate well via text, I have had a lifelong phobia of internal parasites 😅
I too have this question. My quail are 7 weeks old and I have them on deep liter (I want them to have a happy life before I eat them) What do I use to worm the little dinosaurs? (Intestinal parasites sound really icky and I do not want to get them)

I haven’t wormed mine, tbh if I found worms in the pen I might cull them all then move and disinfect the pen and hatch more, fecal floats are like 45 bux here, plus meds, and quail only reliably lay for a year, I think financially it isn’t realistic from a livestock point of view. If they’re pets, just look for worms in the poop, if you see any, get a float done and treat it. Knowing from experience with other animals, once you have them you will keep getting them unless you clean and move the pen.

Back
Top Bottom