Using lava rock and landscape rock as insoluble grit

I would not us any volcanic lava-rock anywhere around my birds!!!
If you do some research about volcanic ash and jet engines or what volcanic ash will do to your lungs if it is inhaled you will understand why.
Lava and volcanic ash is literally glas, it has sharp edges that will hurt your bird's gizzards and will ultimately kill them.
I would not use colourful rocks either: Those colours are created by metals in the rock, for example Copper will color rocks turquoise/green/ bluish. I don't know which metal will turn rocks pink, but i'm very certain it won't do any good to birds…
In case those rocks are being artificially coloured - i guess we don't have to discuss that, have we?

What is your pink rock? Limestone, granite, or something else? If it is pink granite they well that for insoluble grit. Some people like a sharp or irregular bit of rock for grit but they quickly get ground pretty smooth inside the gizzard.

Iron content is typically what makes rock red or pink but it could be some other minerals in there. I personally would not worry about the color of the rock.

Back
Top Bottom