Various things that make a hen stop laying?

clickchicks

Songster
Jun 6, 2020
Texas
One of my hens stopped laying about 10 days ago. She's a little over a year old (born March last year) and has been my most consistent layer, 5-6 eggs a week.

So far this hen seems normal. She'll go sit in the nesting box for 30 mins, maybe an hour, but no egg. She doesn't go in the box otherwise so I don't think she's broody. I'm in central Texas and its been unseasonably warm here, which I know is stressing them out. I have plenty of shade and lots of water for them but they still pant. I did also change their layer pellets last month, the store I buy from was closed for Good Friday so in a pinch I got a different brand elsewhere. That bag is done and just yesterday I bought a bag of the old stuff to switch them back.

There's tons of articles online about things that can make a hen stop laying, but I'm wondering if there's any way at all distinguish what's serious and what's not. If its just stress from a food switch, would they really stop laying for over a week? The heat is bad, yes, but my other hens are still laying- albeit a little less frequently.

The last time this happened to one of my hens, she ended up having cancer and died. I know there are other serious health issues that can cause them to stop laying. I'm worried about this little hen, seems like a long time not to lay for a minor thing, but she's not showing any other symptoms.

Soft molt?
Not sure, she's a little young but I guess not crazy young for the first molt (around 14 months). She doesn't look like she's losing feathers.

Are the other birds still laying as normal?
Do you know for sure who is not laying, any other odd behaviors?

I like to give a dose of Electrolytes during heat waves....first one happening now, everyone is panting.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

She's the only one I have who lays white eggs so its easy to tell when her eggs are missing. So far she seems otherwise normal. Poops are a little runny but everyone's are due to the heat.

The others are still laying, maybe a little reduced. I've had a couple of "skip" days since the heat started with no eggs at all, but I'm still getting 2-3 eggs (out of 5 laying hens) every other day-ish so I know they're still laying.

I've got two extra waterers out with them now, one with the rooster booster brand electrolytes. Its getting really hot here... into the mid 90s, but there is lots of shade in the run. Shady parts of the run stay in the mid 80s.

Well, she laid today. Went nearly 2 weeks without, so I'm very relieved. The egg was a little small but otherwise normal (good shell, had a yolk when cracked). So I guess it was just stress.

Back
Top Bottom