Vent prolapse, necrotic tissue

mergiebird

Hatching
May 25, 2023
My senior Brahma hen is suffering from vent prolapse. Her whole backside was a poopy mess and there were a few maggots. I’ve been treating her for two days with all the methods I found through google searches. (Bathe in warm water with dish soap 10-15 minutes, cleared out the feathers and poopy mess, picked out as many maggots as I could, vetericyn spray, nutridrench, ACV, buying probiotics today, keeping her in a nearly dark bathroom in a small box).
I couldn’t even really tell where the opening of the vent was because the flesh was so torn up. There was no way I could safely push it back in. Today is day 3 and the swelling has gone down some and it seems to be starting to scab over. I can actually tell where it’s supposed to go back in now.
Each time I bathe her I try to clean the infected/dead looking stuff off, at least the stuff that kinda just falls off easily, without pulling or causing more bleeding.
At this point I feel like I should try to get it to keep drying out/scabbing.
Can I use blu-kote? It says for external use and I’m not sure since her insides are now outside. Should I wait until it’s healed to try to push it back in? (Going to try honey and prep H.) I feel like it’s a bad idea to push infected/necrotic flesh back into her body, but also don’t know if there’s any risk of waiting too long to push it in.
Her energy seems pretty good, still feisty and bossy. She’s eating and drinking a little but not as much as I’d like. Didn’t touch the scrambled eggs I made her which is not normal.
No drooping of the wings or eyelids, and when I pop in to check on her she is usually standing, but that could just be cuz her hiney is in pain. She is still bleeding but there’s a lot less mess on the towel in the bottom of the box that when we started. She is pooping normally.
I feel optimistic that she’s healing some and that she hasn’t died already, but I’m feeling really unsure about how to proceed without hurting her or making things worse.
Pictures were from after the first bath and clearing of poop and maggots. I forgot to take a picture on day 2, I will update with day 3 pictures today. TY!

Attachments

• 72C02CE1-58EA-4353-A67D-D315B2EAB923.jpeg
    72C02CE1-58EA-4353-A67D-D315B2EAB923.jpeg
    566 KB · Views: 53
  • BF1B0198-5F2F-4C53-A9D6-00B7B479947F.jpeg
    BF1B0198-5F2F-4C53-A9D6-00B7B479947F.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 15
I don’t think what you are doing is in the best interest of your hen. Are you giving pain meds since she is obviously in pain? Even if she can heal from this, chances are that she will have a prolapse again when her body tries to lay another egg. You’ve put in a ton of effort but some injuries aren’t fixable.

You can end her suffering quickly and mercifully, that is what I have done when I’ve had a prolapse in my flock.

I don’t think what you are doing is in the best interest of your hen. Are you giving pain meds since she is obviously in pain? Even if she can heal from this, chances are that she will have a prolapse again when her body tries to lay another egg. You’ve put in a ton of effort but some injuries aren’t fixable.

You can end her suffering quickly and mercifully, that is what I have done when I’ve had a prolapse in my flock.
No I’m not giving pain meds. I have no idea what you can even give a chicken so open to advice there. She doesn’t seem to be suffering all that much. I know prey animals mask their pain, but I’ve had sick and dying chickens before and she is not acting like they did. She’s old and only lays once a week or so anyway, so I’m hoping by keeping her in the dark I can give her time to heal before the next egg comes through. Yes, I understand she may prolapse again, but I won’t give up on her while she is still showing good energy and eating/drinking.

Last edited:
My senior Brahma hen is suffering from vent prolapse. Her whole backside was a poopy mess and there were a few maggots. I’ve been treating her for two days with all the methods I found through google searches. (Bathe in warm water with dish soap 10-15 minutes, cleared out the feathers and poopy mess, picked out as many maggots as I could, vetericyn spray, nutridrench, ACV, buying probiotics today, keeping her in a nearly dark bathroom in a small box).
I couldn’t even really tell where the opening of the vent was because the flesh was so torn up. There was no way I could safely push it back in. Today is day 3 and the swelling has gone down some and it seems to be starting to scab over. I can actually tell where it’s supposed to go back in now.
Each time I bathe her I try to clean the infected/dead looking stuff off, at least the stuff that kinda just falls off easily, without pulling or causing more bleeding.
At this point I feel like I should try to get it to keep drying out/scabbing.
Can I use blu-kote? It says for external use and I’m not sure since her insides are now outside. Should I wait until it’s healed to try to push it back in? (Going to try honey and prep H.) I feel like it’s a bad idea to push infected/necrotic flesh back into her body, but also don’t know if there’s any risk of waiting too long to push it in.
Her energy seems pretty good, still feisty and bossy. She’s eating and drinking a little but not as much as I’d like. Didn’t touch the scrambled eggs I made her which is not normal.
No drooping of the wings or eyelids, and when I pop in to check on her she is usually standing, but that could just be cuz her hiney is in pain. She is still bleeding but there’s a lot less mess on the towel in the bottom of the box that when we started. She is pooping normally.
I feel optimistic that she’s healing some and that she hasn’t died already, but I’m feeling really unsure about how to proceed without hurting her or making things worse.
Pictures were from after the first bath and clearing of poop and maggots. I forgot to take a picture on day 2, I will update with day 3 pictures today. TY!
Update!
I can’t freaking believe this, but I just took her out of the bath and she has pushed that thing back in herself! No evidence of injury externally, just crusty blood and poo caked in what remains of the feathers.
She is full of energy like “get me the heck out of this stupid tiny box!”
She’s always been a badass tough lil bird but I am in shock with this! I know we’re not out of the woods yet, that she could prolapse again, and I’m concerned about infection still.
I’m going to keep her in the dark bathroom a while longer till I can get her fully clean.
She’s old so she only lays about once a week anyway, but I will be monitoring her closely in anticipation of the next drop.

Attachments

• 5BDA18CE-5133-4F5F-BC7F-DECAC5703A31.jpeg
    5BDA18CE-5133-4F5F-BC7F-DECAC5703A31.jpeg
    757.9 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom