Ventilation for shed converted to a coop

I added these Solar exhaust fan to two chicken coops and a duck coop this summer during our extended heat waves. They were much bigger than I thought they would be and move a lot of air. I also liked that it came with the power plug to run during the night as well which they usually don't come with. I added hardware cloth across the vent for predator protection and keep the mice out. I had all windows open as well as the human doors but if there is no wind blowing, that didn't help much. I was using box fans previously but those always scare me with the amount of dust the chickens produce and the possibility of fires.

I'm planning on getting this fan or the larger version (depending on measuring what will fit) and placing it in the rear gable over the window. I have a remote temperature/humidity sensor (located out in the shed now, which is how I know it got up to 104 degrees the other day) that can be set to trigger a wifi controlled outlet to be installed in the shed to automatically turn off/on the fan.

My dad and I are getting together later today to discuss building the run. Wish me luck lol!

My shed/coop combo finally delivered yesterday. Its a nice solid shed that with a few tweaks will hopefully be a good chicken coop as well.

My to do list went from "Wait for the shed to arrive" to:

Need to build a better roost. Might move the roost they sent over to the nest box side so the chickens can use it as steps. The nest boxes are kinda high up.

Leak proof the nest box, add a prop to the nest box lid and/or split the lid in half. The damn thing is HEAVY and I'm short.

Add more ventilation because holy crap it gets hot, 104 in there currently and ambient temp outside is only 82.

Put in a dividing interior wall with a door to create a storage space.

Paint the whole interior.

Figure out how to mount the Run Chicken automatic chicken door. The manual door they have isn’t quite the right size hole.

Build run - which splits off its own to do list.

View attachment 3651184

View attachment 3651185

View attachment 3651186

I'm pretty solid on what I'm going to do to accomplish the list of things above except ventilation. It currently has the window in back that opens plus a ridge vent. In the summer, once the dividing wall (which will be mostly wire) is built to separate the back half into chicken living quarters and the front have to storage, the main door can be propped open.

I really dont want to alter it too much. If lose interest in chicken keeping down the road, I'll want to revert it wholly to a storage shed.

Has anyone ever used a crawlspace exhaust fan to help ventilate a coop? Something like this? It wouldnt require a huge hole cut, and I can put it in the back wall gable above the window.

I'm not worried about power outages, as we historically dont often have power issues where I live and if needed I have a large battery back up that's always kept charged.
What about a thermostatically controlled vent fan that mounts in the wall? Some have temp as well as humidity settings. I’m considering one or maybe two of those since I’m in the Texas heat

Back
Top Bottom