Verifying my reassessment of breeds in my flock

I think you are right, except the barred rocks may be cuckoo Marans judging by the white legs. Not sure.

The last barred hen is some type of Easter egger or olive egger. A barred rock wouldn't have the beard.
I will look and get better picture of legs on Barred rocks. I thought they looked yellow. Hoping they are barred rocks as I just purchased 6 cuckoo Marans chicks this morning🤦‍♀️

I will go edit the last barred hen picture. I know she’s an EE. I was trying to guess parentage best I could.
Thanks for the help and prompt reply

I will go edit the last barred hen picture. I know she’s an EE. I was trying to guess parentage best I could.
If she came from a hatchery, her parents might both be Easter Eggers.

If she came from a backyard flock, she could be any kind of mix. Yes, she might have Barred Rock in the mix. Her white barring was inherited from her father (because of the way the barring gene works. It never passes from mother to daughter.)

I think you are right, except the barred rocks may be cuckoo Marans judging by the white legs. Not sure.

The last barred hen is some type of Easter egger or olive egger. A barred rock wouldn't have the beard.
Didn’t get to get pictures today. It was raining all day. Will baby pictures help? Had these when they were 1 month old

Attachments

• 3678293A-E8D5-4822-A916-2F496B0DB180.jpeg
    3678293A-E8D5-4822-A916-2F496B0DB180.jpeg
    561.7 KB · Views: 2
  • AC1EB116-01A0-4988-A969-E25EECCADEC0.jpeg
    AC1EB116-01A0-4988-A969-E25EECCADEC0.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 2
Didn’t get to get pictures today. It was raining all day. Will baby pictures help? Had these when they were 1 month old
Looking more like a barred rock. BRs should have yellowish legs, Marans should have whitish legs with no yellow. If it's difficult to tell, look at the color under the feet or between the toes. Yellow in those areas means barred rock.

Looking more like a barred rock. BRs should have yellowish legs, Marans should have whitish legs with no yellow. If it's difficult to tell, look at the color under the feet or between the toes. Yellow in those areas means barred rock.
I'm seeing yellow legs in the chick photo (probably Barred Rock.)

I'm seeing paler legs in the adult photo, but hens usually do lose some of the yellow as they lay eggs for a long time. It comes back gradually when they stop laying, for example when molting.

So I think probably Barred Rock.

I'm seeing yellow legs in the chick photo (probably Barred Rock.)

I'm seeing paler legs in the adult photo, but hens usually do lose some of the yellow as they lay eggs for a long time. It comes back gradually when they stop laying, for example when molting.

So I think probably Barred Rock.
Thank you. The current chicks I have are supposed to be Cuckoo Marans and their legs right now look whiter than the pictures I had from last round(barred rocks). So I’m thinking those 2 hens are barred rocks like we were told. I’ll compare the chicks at one month to the picture and see. Thanks again for all the help

Back
Top Bottom