very aggressive 2 month old RIR

lol-we did end up replacing that pullet--it turned out fine but we decided to put one of the Cockerels in there too but he's an impossible little terror at 4 months old - I love the way the RIR look but I really dont like their behavior. At least we have an older rooster (his daddy) that keeps this cocky guy in line most of the time.
Shoulda gotten Australorps! ;)

Yeah i would rather have lovely well-behaved chickens but here I am with 5 New Hampshires, 13 RIR females and 2 RIR roosters - it sure has taught me patience and how to care for the not so easy to love chickens 😏 Next time Australorps😃

Yeah i would rather have lovely well-behaved chickens but here I am with 5 New Hampshires, 13 RIR females and 2 RIR roosters - it sure has taught me patience and how to care for the not so easy to love chickens 😏 Next time Australorps😃
True enough, no substitute for learning experience!

I call it a happy accident I even ended up with them, although I knew what chickens I didn't want. I was drawn to them before even knowing that much about them and then when my chicken plans kept falling through (Speckled Sussex - MIL bailed on splitting the order, Sapphire Gems - TSC would say they had them, but actually they didn't 🤦), and when I finally found some Australorps about an hour away, I made those chickies MINE. lol The Welsummers have been truly lovely too, and they both laid over winter for us, too. I'm a believer!

Well we had 18 chicks in Feb and decided to integrate 6 of those that I thought were females in with the 6 hens that are already a year old (and one rooster). After a week the new young ones seem to stick together and are thriving well but I am trying to get them used to my handling them. I think the 6 I picked were pullets -- 5 of them seemed to be manageble but there's one that I call Pepper --when I tried to pick her up she attacked me pecking my hand real hard. I let it go that time but today I was picking each one at a time. The 5 pullets I picked up were fine but when i tried to pick Pepper up she challenged me and pecked my hand hard twice. I tried to push her away with my foot and she attacked my leg. Wow- this really surprised me how fierce this 2 month old chick was. I now want to exchange her (maybe it's a him?) for another one in the tractor that I believe is a pullet. Should I just exchange them and hope they will continue as if they were the same 6? They look exactly alike - I guess I just want to make sure the new one wount be ousted b/c they will know its not the same one as before. I really cant leave that aggressive chick there. Has anyone any idea why this one young chick can be so vicious..can femakes be that aggressive so young?
new chicken mom here...i am very interested in your post because i was handling our 4 week old silkies this morning and the one i named matil peck my hand as i went to pick her up. i reached back into the box they are in and noticed she(or he) literally was following my hand and definitely was hoping for another peck, lol. my husband watched matil "strutting" around and commented it felt rooster like to him but of course it's too soon to know for sure
i was able to wait for her back to be turned and picked her up just to make a point. not sure how it will go longterm

Back
Top Bottom