Voles?

KirstenColorado

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
Our area has recently had MAJOR problems with voles (and this is in and near a huge, well known city) tearing everything up. It's only a matter of time before they visit me, since they are currently wrecking havoc with all of my neighbors. Do I have anything to worry about with my chickens newly introduced to their outside coop?

Our area has recently had MAJOR problems with voles (and this is in and near a huge, well known city) tearing everything up. It's only a matter of time before they visit me, since they are currently wrecking havoc with all of my neighbors. Do I have anything to worry about with my chickens newly introduced to their outside coop?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The rat and other predators will come to your coop so set few Snap-e trap help in the process.

I haven't herd about vole attack on chicken
If the problem was rats
I would be worried about young chicks or even smal bantams
Feeding your birds only the amount they can eat will help not attract rodents
Remove any leftover food

Voles are vegetarians and need to eat grasses and weeds in excess of their body weight. They will very rarely be drawn to chicken feed unless there are whole grains in it and even then they prefer weeds and grasses.

I guess that's why we get mice and rats and not voles
I have seen voles using coops to hide and I thougt it had to do with chicken feed ;)

This is really cool to learn! So Voles are vegetarians...makes sense now. I need a pick ax just to dig the smallest hole for plants, that's how hard the ground is, so who knows if they'll even make it! Thanks all!

I have a yard full of voles and the chickens love to eat them! My cats catch and kill voles frequently. The chickens gladly relieve the cats of their kill and partake with much enthusiasm.
lau.gif
It's kind of gross, but it is a great protein source.

Worry more for the Voles, your chickens are safe!
lau.gif

I have a yard full of voles and the chickens love to eat them! My cats catch and kill voles frequently. The chickens gladly relieve the cats of their kill and partake with much enthusiasm.
lau.gif
It's kind of gross, but it is a great protein source.

Worry more for the Voles, your chickens are safe!
lau.gif
Gallus gallus domesticus is often referred to as little feathered T-Rexes. Now we know why.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom