Was sure they were hens, now I’m not!

I think you were asking more about breed on the barred birds. You are correct that pure barred rocks should have yellow legs, and crisper bars. Where did you get your birds? They might just not be perfect for breed standards, they could be mixed with another breed, or the mix up could be that they are coocoo Marans which have white legs and are faster feathering.

I think you were asking more about breed on the barred birds. You are correct that pure barred rocks should have yellow legs, and crisper bars. Where did you get your birds? They might just not be perfect for breed standards, they could be mixed with another breed, or the mix up could be that they are coocoo Marans which have white legs and are faster feathering.
I thought about Cuckoo Marans as well but these birds have slate legs so that’s wrong for that too. They could be mixes for sure.

I got them at Tractor Supply, so I know they don’t have the best reputation for giving what they say.

Yes, their legs are slate/grey/bluish even.

Hello again chicken friends!
I was sure all my 14 1/2 week chickens were hens a few weeks ago. Now one of my RIRs has some pointy neck feathers that have me unsure!
I also have what I thought were two Barred Plymouth Rocks, but after doing some more looking into it on here I’m seeing their legs should be yellow. They have two different body styles and since they probably aren’t a pure breed I’m not sure if I know as much as I thought. One is getting lighter and has almost no tail compared to the other (pictured on the right and in the front). Any help appreciated!
I also think you have all pullets. :)

Back
Top Bottom