Water access when free ranging

I also keep one in the shade on the patio. If it is a scorchong day, ill find them in the yard and put a bowl full of ice water next to them to encourage them to drink.

Growing up on a farm the only watering spot was a farm pond, used by horses, cattle, and chickens. They knew where it was and went to get a drink whenever they wanted it.

My situation is now different. I practically always have juveniles in the flock so I have several watering and feeding stations scattered. But it's the same principle. They know where the water is so it is up to them to go get it when they want it. Just like they go back to the coop to lay an egg, they go get water wherever they need to go.

I would tend to agree with the opinions above, EXCEPT, our little flock of 4 doesn't seem to remember to go back to the coop for food and water!:he
We have 2 Silkies, a Buff Orpington and an Australorp. They are very trusting and even affectionate, but maybe not too much "chicken sense." We have a little water feature that they seem to "rediscover" periodically and will drink like they haven't had water all day! And If I offer their regular feed after a few hours outside, they will eat like they are starving. They also will lay eggs in the back yard, and for the Silkies, sometimes in the middle of the grass or gravel, totally in the open. So, I think it must depend on the breed and maybe how they are raised. Mine are definitely pampered pets that will hop right into our laps. :love

Since it’s been bumped I’ll share my experience with free ranging birds -

A few years ago I had 6 roosters. Bought 6 chicks from TSC and they ended up being all roosters. So I just let them go in the yard because I don’t need 6 extra roosters in with my flock. They ran around the yard like a pack of raptors all Summer long. I never supplied them with any water or food. They just foraged and roosted in the trees. I guess they found water in neighbors yards or after a good rain, I’m not sure. But they survived just fine on their own until I got tired of chicken poo being everywhere I walked and got rid of them.

It was cool having a pack of raptors roaming around though.

Back
Top Bottom