Water Belly??? Not emergency.

Motokat

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2023
Hello all, so I have a hen that is about 3yrs old. Noticed a few days ago she was slowing down. Found her last night breathing heavy . Just drained 935 mls off her abdomen. It is a golden color. Breathing is better. She ate a little afterwards. I am assuming this is the water belly I always hear about. I have never had one with it before. I watched a video and the guy said he drains his every few months. I know it could also be cancer.
Just looking for guidence.

I tried to attach photo of fluid but the attach file would not work for me 😔

Welcome to BYC. Ascites or water belly is a symptom. Causes can be from liver disease, egg yolk peritonitis with liver involvement, cancer, fatty liver disease, and heart failure (especially in meat birds.) Can you post any pictures of her droppings? Is she breathing easier since draining her?

I will try to add photos tomorrow if I catch her going. Or if she goes tonight. I could not get photos to attach earlier. I have pics of the fluid and videos of her breathing. Maybe if I upload to the computer and try to send it that way it will send.

She is breathing much better. Looks back to normal in that area. She still doesn't feel well. Not out with the flock. She did eat and drink a small amount after we got all the fluid off. I let her hang in the house for a while after and she seemed to feel much better. If not eating well tomorrow morning I will tube feed her with Critical Care Omnivore.

I would offer her some electrolytes in her water, Pedialyte or Gatorade at room temperature.
Will do, I have some electrolytes for the chickens and Gatorade.I gave her some metacam earlier today I had some from my last sick chicken just in case she was in any discomfort. I also have Tri -Methsulfa liquid on hand. The vet said that is good for just about anything. Not sure if I need to start that. Would help if it's an infection but not with the other possible diagnosis. The vet I use to go to is not seeing chickens right now so I am on my own. I also work at a veterinarian office so I can get some meds for her but they don't see chickens. They help me out where they can with doses and what not but treatment is not really available. Thanks for all the guidance

As the ascites could be from one of different possibilities, I probably would not give the the sulfa antibiotic as this time. But that is up to you.,

Back
Top Bottom