Water glassed egg broke

Titantherooster

Songster
Jul 9, 2020
Hi all, for anyone who water glasses eggs we have been pulling from our reserves for the last few months and still have quite a bit of eggs left. This morning as my wife was going to pull some out she discovered a broken egg and the water had become cloudy.

My question is if the remaining eggs can still be eaten that were in there when the egg broke? We could easily enough take them out and add new water with slacked lyme but I know washing would mean they would have to bear eaten right away. Hard to say how many are in there now, maybe 6 dozen or so.

I don't see the broken egg as contaminating the lime to make anything bad/ineffective solution. I would just leave as is,, and keep taking out eggs as you need them.
I know one person that does the lime preservation, but uses smaller vessels so egg count may be smaller than your. Many eggs,,,, more weight on shells.:idunno
I will tag, @drstratton and see what may be the opinion from there.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Hi all, for anyone who water glasses eggs we have been pulling from our reserves for the last few months and still have quite a bit of eggs left. This morning as my wife was going to pull some out she discovered a broken egg and the water had become cloudy.

My question is if the remaining eggs can still be eaten that were in there when the egg broke? We could easily enough take them out and add new water with slacked lyme but I know washing would mean they would have to bear eaten right away. Hard to say how many are in there now, maybe 6 dozen or so.
You could leave them in and they will probably be fine, but I would take them out and not wash them...you could make some extra lime solution to rinse them in before you place them into the new solution, just swish them around a bit! I'm sure they are fine...keeping anything harmful out is what the bloom was created to do! Mind you, I have not experienced a breakage, but I'm pretty confident in my above suggestion! I hope it works out for you! :)

Does anybody know why water glassed eggs would have a crack, not seeping, when they’ve been handled gently and not jostled? They’re 7 months old.

Does anybody know why water glassed eggs would have a crack, not seeping, when they’ve been handled gently and not jostled? They’re 7 months old.
I don't have a definite answer,,, but can still speculate.
First ?? how many eggs are slightly cracked?
Possible reasons,,,
Your hens laid thin shelled eggs.:idunno
Eggs being in liquid for 7 months could have weakened shell. :idunno

Rinse egg,,, break it open and view how it looks. The inner membrane is a good barrier as well.

Finally, fry it up and see if there is any thing different about the taste. If the egg was contaminated inside,,, the flavor would reflect that.

Possible reasons,,,

Rinse egg,,, break it open and view how it looks. The inner membrane is a good barrier as well.

Finally, fry it up and see if there is any thing different about the taste. If the egg was contaminated inside,,, the flavor would reflect that.
Thank you. It’s the first bucket we’ve tried since we started water glassing this past Spring. So far, guessing 1 out of every 4-6. They’re stored in 2 gallon buckets, so not cracked because of weight. I’ll definitely try your suggestions.

Did u ever find out an answer? This just happened to me too

Possible reasons,,,

So you don't know if the uncracked eggs would be contaminated by the broken egg, yet you suggest she eat one to see if it tastes different. What are the health concerns if the egg tastes different?

So you don't know if the uncracked eggs would be contaminated by the broken egg, yet you suggest she eat one to see if it tastes different. What are the health concerns if the egg tastes different?
If it tastes different spit it out immediately. Your just tasting not eating them.

Back
Top Bottom